Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case is split have couple ???

case is split have couple questions

hey guys i split my case this evening and have couple questions my crank bearing on the clutch side appears to b in good shape it spins freely and does not have any play from side to side but makes a slight noise when i spin it and didnt kno if this is normal and ok?? should i replace it? also the bearing reads japan koyo 63 28 anybody tell me if thats oem?? is there anything i should look for or inspect or any little tricks i should kno about before putting it all back together?? oh and one more thing on the crank its self there is a little bit almost rainbow coloring in a small circle around the shaft of the crank "not the rod" the part that goes into the bearing i dont think there is anything wrong w it maybe it just got hot on a previous build ? just thought maybe i could get some good info. thanks! i can post pics if needed
    Go Big or Go Home!!!

I would replace both crank bearings just to be on the safe side, never wanna have to tear down cause you have a loose crank bearing. there is an upgrade to an 8 ball bearing, which lasts longer but i forgot what it is, i think its a cr 500 bearing.

Make sure the tranny doesnt have any grind marks where the gears mesh, or make sure the cogs that lock two gears together are rounded off too bad. and check to see that the transmission spins smooth. Bent shift forks can cause a transmission to spin rough or a bad bearing.

That is just normal on OEM cranks i believe, ive had 3 of them that all had that bluish darkening on the side where the shaft goes into the halves.
    Caution! Post Whore!
    Kansas B Class Motocross Racer
    Long Live the 250r!

ok cool well thanks for the info! i will check it all out. oh and not that it makes a diff??, but i shoulda mentioned the crank is hot rods not oem
    Go Big or Go Home!!!

do the crank seals to! more compression with weak seals equals blow by on both sides of the crank.

where do i get good oem beraings or better yet where do i fid these upgraded ons for cr 500? what year would i need too?
    Go Big or Go Home!!!

Originally posted by Grande Huevos
    where do i get good oem beraings or better yet where do i fid these upgraded ons for cr 500? what year would i need too?
    The bearings for CR250's are 8 ball also. You can use any CR250 bearing from 1985-2001. Part number 91008-KAE-731. Not sure where everybody gets that they're CR500 bearings only, 250's and 500's share the same bearing with the same part number. There is an old number from back in the 80's that was used also, and that may have been a seven ball bearing, but that number now supercedes over to the current number.
    "Everything's a good idea when you're drinkin'"
    "Without rules, we'd all be livin' in trees, flingin' our crap at each other" - a very wise man
    2003 Lonestar 250R
    2001 Lonestar 250R
    1986 250R restored to new
    1986 250R still in pieces
    2007 TRX450R
    2004 TRX450R
    1999 CR250
    1999 CR500
    1996 CR250
    and many more

1999 Banshee "NEW TO ME"

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...razyavatar.gif

88-89 bearings are also 8-ball. Same part number. I just installed some tonight.
    2002 Roll Design Lobo MX

if you got it all apart i would replace all the bearings and seals honestly.... i just went through this on my bike i took it for the first time and the crank took a crap "last sunday" on me.. anywho i went ahead and got the whole wiesco crank kit with seals and gaskets a new piston all the bearings,honed out 30 over etc... got it put back together friday evening and rode saturday.... what a difference in compression man i can barely kick the thing over now compared to before it was easy and i could do it with sandals on lol....oh ya the stupid bearing on the counter balance shaft was shot also and me with no press and pressed for time had to buy a rebuilt one i found in town for 150$ made a newb mistake and didn't split the case untill my parts got here thursday night....arrrr
    got me a 87 250r!!!!!

Originally posted by Grande Huevos
    If you go to Rocky mountain ATV the All Balls kit is way cheaper than buying them through Honda. These kits are Koyo (OEM) 8 ball bearings. You get both bearings and seals for $44.99. The add says 86 ATC but this is the upgraded 8 ball cr500 bearings. Got this info from my builder and bought 2 sets.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...odFamilyId=546
    Home of the shiny 250r
    I see stuff whether it exists or not

can you buy a bottom end bearing kit? I'm gonna start a build in a bit but i want to replace all bearings in this baby... do it right once and not have to worry about it.
    Originally posted by BakerRacing40
    bad thing is she's probably been rode harder than half the bikes in the start gate..

but you can still have fun with somethin that's a lil worn out...

RIP John Gallagher Sr

give him a blessing or two... god bless this rider and all fallin riders..
    http://www.metalmulisha.com/team/jeremy-lusk

250r... the G.O.A.T of quads...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast