Thread: running like chit

running like chit

hey guys a lil help would be great my quad sat since like lat fall or so with about half a tank of gas .........went to fire it up today ran but ran rough i took it up and down my street trying to keep it running it back fired and then hasent really ran right since i changed plug and ran fine for bout 5 mins now running like crap when it wants .....any help would be great just think it is a carb problem i hope....any help would be great
    '02 400ex
    UNI*w/ big gunn s/o
    *main 165 42pilot out 1.5 turn, needle 4th spot from top
    *stage 2 hot cam
    *bored to a 407 with high comp piston
    *+2 full flight a-arms
    *450r front shocks

First thing i would do is drain the gas then take the bowl off the carb clean it out and also clean the jets to make sure that they aren't clogged. Check the plug, i know its new but if it needs replaced or cleaned then do it. Then but it back together throw in some fresh gas and you should be good to go. You might want to like flush the tank out some also.
    2002 426ex
    white bros. r4 pipe, k&n filter w/outerwares and No lid, wiseco 11:1 426 , kibble white valves, stage 2 cam , 450r carb , +3 timing key , Lonestar +1 1/4 chromed swingarm, g-force +4 axle, Houser silcast +2 ST arms, 450r shocks with works zps triple rate springs , Hiper tech 3 beadlocks (with orange rings soon to be black), maier silver racecut plastic with a QT CF hood
    (work in progress)(NOW PARTING OUT)

03 CRF450r
    (totaled and parting out)
    Now the new toy
    84 Chevy shortbed K10
    7in lift (4 suspension and 3 body)
    35in tires
    350 4spd
    (another work in progress)

thanx man did that and seems to be running good i have a big gunn slip on and i dont really know withc is witch but i am running a 40 and a 155 for the jets took it up and down my street ran good
    '02 400ex
    UNI*w/ big gunn s/o
    *main 165 42pilot out 1.5 turn, needle 4th spot from top
    *stage 2 hot cam
    *bored to a 407 with high comp piston
    *+2 full flight a-arms
    *450r front shocks

Go down to your local auto parts, and get a can of SeaFoam. run that in your first couple of tanks to make sure all gunk is flushed through the tank filter, fuel line, carb jets, etc.

If it's ever going to sit with fuel for more than a month, add some Seafoam to it, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

it's Good Stuff !

Originally posted by tri5ron
    Go down to your local auto parts, and get a can of SeaFoam. run that in your first couple of tanks to make sure all gunk is flushed through the tank filter, fuel line, carb jets, etc.

If it's ever going to sit with fuel for more than a month, add some Seafoam to it, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

it's Good Stuff !
    Usually if im going to let anything sit for an extended period of time like over winter i drain all the fluids just to be safe. But thats just me, that sea foam stuff works pretty well to.
    2002 426ex
    white bros. r4 pipe, k&n filter w/outerwares and No lid, wiseco 11:1 426 , kibble white valves, stage 2 cam , 450r carb , +3 timing key , Lonestar +1 1/4 chromed swingarm, g-force +4 axle, Houser silcast +2 ST arms, 450r shocks with works zps triple rate springs , Hiper tech 3 beadlocks (with orange rings soon to be black), maier silver racecut plastic with a QT CF hood
    (work in progress)(NOW PARTING OUT)

03 CRF450r
    (totaled and parting out)
    Now the new toy
    84 Chevy shortbed K10
    7in lift (4 suspension and 3 body)
    35in tires
    350 4spd
    (another work in progress)

Haha, very true.
    Maybe I should clarify that a bit and say, the seafom is just to help insure you get any remaining gunk.
    but, If you are going to have a machine sit for extended periods, (multiple months on end), then it is better to drain all the fuel from the carb AND tank.
    Seafoam is not going to preserve fuel forever. I apoligize for the confusion.