Thread: HMF Optimizer setting ?'s '07 Rancher 420

HMF Optimizer setting ?'s '07 Rancher 420

Hey folks I got a Rancher 2007 420 2x4 es. I bought the HMF performance slip on with the HMF Optimizer w/uni filter. I had not changed the settings on the optimizer til yesterday when I pulled the plug to see it black with soot. It said it was factory set correctly but its running rich so i dropped each of the three settings by .5. I was just wondering if anyone else has this setup and how do you have it set up. Factory settings were 2.5/4/4. I dropped it to 2/3.5/3.5 not sure if this is going to be a big enough drop. Thanks for any help.

What is your opinion on the optimizer. I have been thinking about one, or the PC3. I keep hearing mixed opinions if they are worth the money.

I couldnt give you an opinion as to which way to go with programmers. I have the optimizer for the rancher and an ehs programmer on my 700xx. They are both the same style I believe theyre called dobeck. It does what its supposed to do though it was set real rich from the factory. I called hmf and they were real helpful. But as to which is better idk.

Did you notice a differnece once the optimizer was plugged in? I have heard 2 different stories with ranchers and fuel controllers, (1) spend you $$ elsewhere as it is not a noticable differnence and (2) a small percentage thinks it was money well spent. What is your experience? Does the exhaust and controller give it $500 worth more power?

Ive only got one ride on it with the pipe and controller hooked up and it was running rich which was robbing power. How much I dont know. I was not very impressed with the overall power gained. They need to make a full exhaust system for the rancher. A larger diameter header I think would be the way to go. I was never able to find a full exhaust system. Im still on the fence until I can get a couple more rides in but the weather has been horrible here in Missouri this winter.