Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oversize oil cooler question?

oversize oil cooler question?

im wanting to put a larger oil cooler on my 400ex. my question is can you go too big ? im looking at a derale transmission cooler 10 1/8" x 8 1/8" it would fit im wondering would it be harder on the oil pump? i know i would need to add a little extra oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It take 2 bike riders to equal 1 quad rider"

dyno jet kit
    outerwears pre filter
    k&n air filter
    k&n power lid

hmf polished slip on
    razr 2 all around
    armadillo 1/4" swing arm plate
    ebc sevre duty brake pads
    hot cams stage 2

Re: oversize oil cooler question?

Originally posted by 6858-400ex
    im wanting to put a larger oil cooler on my 400ex. my question is can you go too big ? im looking at a derale transmission cooler 10 1/8" x 8 1/8" it would fit im wondering would it be harder on the oil pump? i know i would need to add a little extra oil.
    X2
    416 CP 12.5:1, Hotcam stg 3, H2H mid P&P, Race-cut valves, FCR 40 H2H dual spray venturi jet, Flywheel lightened 13.3oz, Cometic gaskets, Roll Design +2+1, DS450x FS, Eyeballs +2 stem, GPR stabilizer, LSR Axel & Carrier, misc parts...

Anybody knows what's the max we can go on an oversize oil cooler w/o messing with the oil pressure on a 400ex??

Somebody try that king of cooler? Did it cool better than a traditional one??

416 CP 12.5:1, Hotcam stg 3, H2H mid P&P, Race-cut valves, FCR 40 H2H dual spray venturi jet, Flywheel lightened 13.3oz, Cometic gaskets, Roll Design +2+1, DS450x FS, Eyeballs +2 stem, GPR stabilizer, LSR Axel & Carrier, misc parts...

i had an 03 400ex and someone had put a fairly large transmission cooler made for automotive use. it worked well, and they even wired in a fan from a sportbike and you could turn it on and off manually..
    1995 Blaster. Bored .040" , midrange ported, head rechambered, pro series reeds, FMF fatty/Dg silencer, lightened flywheel, +4 timing, Hydro brakes, Lonestar +2 a-arms, Works dual rate G-series shocks, +2 swingarm,. More to come

Re: oversize oil cooler question?

Originally posted by 6858-400ex
    Why are you thinking you need a bigger cooler?
    Suzuki lt50
    Drx 90
    XFR nerfs + grab bar
    Uni filter And outerwear
    Brmoffroad.com graphics
    02 416ex
    Prm bumper and skids
    Flexx bars + sprider grips
    Motoxperts headwork
    Stage 2 hot cam
    11-1 je piston
    39mm sparks carb
    Um oversize oil tank
    Hd holeshots
    Jet Suspension

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE BUT HOW YOU DRIVE IT

LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE

I think every EX will benefit of a better cooling systeme... even a stock ex. Dropping the oil temps will give u better performance in all aspects of this free air motor!

Main problem you run into is the lines must be worked so you can use an automotive style cooler. Its not hard, but you need some knowhow and the right fittings.

It would be best to get conversion fittings to use. heres some that might help..

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...mission+cooler

Me, I mounted a spal fan-but even when its 90F outside Im moving pretty quick so it doesnt heat up to much due to airflow.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Thx bro! I'm thinking about putting the round style cooler as a 2nd cooler, in-line with the OEM... I don't know if this style of cooler is more efficient than a traditionnal one?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
    [B]Main problem you run into is the lines must be worked so you can use an automotive style cooler. Its not hard, but you need some knowhow and the right fittings.

the one i had someone cut the stock lines and bought a tubing flaring tool from like autozone and then flared the ends so the lines will stay on, and added rubber lines up to the cooler. worked fine, but might not be the best choice for the woods..
    1995 Blaster. Bored .040" , midrange ported, head rechambered, pro series reeds, FMF fatty/Dg silencer, lightened flywheel, +4 timing, Hydro brakes, Lonestar +2 a-arms, Works dual rate G-series shocks, +2 swingarm,. More to come

i live in arizona it gets over 100 deg here in the summer
    "It take 2 bike riders to equal 1 quad rider"

dyno jet kit
    outerwears pre filter
    k&n air filter
    k&n power lid

hmf polished slip on
    razr 2 all around
    armadillo 1/4" swing arm plate
    ebc sevre duty brake pads
    hot cams stage 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast