Thread: Raptor 250 or Mojave 250

Raptor 250 or Mojave 250

Hey everyone, got a question. I currently have a stock Raptor 250 as a second quad/girlfriend ride. I have a chance to get a near showroom quality 2001 Mojave 250. I've never had any experience with a Mojo, but have heard they are pretty quick little trail quads. My question is should I just keep the Raptor or would selling the Raptor and getting the Mojave be an upgrade? I plan on doing basic mods to either one I end up with, and using it for play riding/rail riding.

Mojave all the way, it is a much better trail quad and when it is running mint one of the best 250-4 stroke quads you can find. The DOHC 4 valve was ahead of its time when it was made back in 87' or so, and still is compared to the newer 300exs and the other 250/300s.If you plan to do any modifications mojave's are the way to go too, the first to go IMO would be the front suspension if you are going to be doing any jumps, and then the handlebars would be next. All in all you would get your money's worth and it is a huge upgrade from one 250 to another. The only bad things about them are the width (kinda small), kickstart, the kickstart gear will go after about two seasons, and the swing arm/a-arm bearings should be replaced every two years or so and should be anually maintained. Other than that you have a great chance at a great quad.
    2001 Kawasaki Mojave 250:
    -Maier race cut plastics
    -ITP holeshot front/rear tires on ITP c-10 rims
    -White Bros E. series slip-on
    -Jardine nerf-bars
    -Alba pro elite bumper
    -2" wheel spacers
    -Mikuni 36mm carb
    -ceet racing seat cover

Raptor. The mojaves are getting hard to find parts for and i hear they have a problem siezing cams
    02 Warrior
    Lonestar, Elka, Houser, Yoshimura, American Star Racing, Flexx
    04 Crf50

ohiomafiariders.com

Mojave's are very unreliable transmission wise. If u ride any bit more than leisurely watch out for second gear and reverse. Second gear had a very common issue that when you shift from first to second it likes to slap the gears rather than shift smoothly from one to the other(resulting in lost teeth).

The other part is the reverse cable thing. The case around the lever that the cable actually moves is right near the chain, and thus likes to explode if ur chain jumps. Case breaks, dirt makes stuff rusty, ur lever won't return anymore under it's own power. When this happens, you can shift down right past first gear and into reverse. this exact thing happened to mine on several different cables both before and after i replaced that case. It tore my trans to shreds. I have pics if you want proof.

Other than this, the mojave was very reliable. I did a new crank, wiseco piston, valves, and headwork when i had it apart to do the trans and it ran fantastic. I even sucked a rag into the valvetrain once on accident and whn i got the shreds out it fired right back up.

Also, the DOHC was one of the first of the kind in a quad engine, so it has its bugs. They do like to stretch cam chains a little and then wear thru cam chain guides. Plus it can be tricky to time correctly.

This is all on some heavy riding tho. Leisurely, just be careful using reverse.

Good luck!
    -Doug
    '02 Cannondale MOTO Hybrid **in progress**

Mojaves are some sweet little beater bikes, but they are pretty hard to find parts for. I would stick with what you have, I know that those raptors are fairly reliable, compared to a Mojave anyways.
    2007 400ex -
    Pro Circuit T-4 Slip-On, Pro Armour Nerfs, UNI Air Filter, K&N PowerLid, PowerMadd Handguards, 155 Main, 42 Pilot, YFZ450 Front Shocks, Shock Pros CDN Flag Front Shock Covers, Shaved Front Fenders, Moose MXR Rear Brake Rotor, NGK Spark Plug, 20" ITP Holeshot XCR's in Rear, ODI Rogue Lock-On Grips, ROX Billet Handguard Mounts, Factory FX Glass Grip Donuts, DG Sport Bumper, Pro-Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars, ROX Dash, DP Brake Pads, DG Baja Series Swing Arm Skid Plate

2001 300ex-
    FMF PowerCore 4, FMF Hi-Flow Headpipe, Kimpex 14T Front Sprocket, Kimpex 38T Rear Sprocket, All Balls Carrier Barrings , Kimpex Chain, Scott Grips, UNI Air Filter, Homemade Long/Wide Grab Bar, NHC Kevlar Rear Brake Pad, 22" Maxxis Razrs on Rear

'84 Suzuki lt125
    '07 Daymak 125 -Paid 80, sold 450
    '77 Kawisaki KM100 -Wiseco, JT, EK
    '07 Baja DR90
    '05 Ski-Doo GSX 600 HO SDI Lt.