Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: worth trading my ex?

worth trading my ex?

guy has a 2004 yfz450 in good condition (haven't seen in person yet) looks clean. he said it has fox shocks on it now (paid 800 each). i know the earlier yfz's have some issues oiling for one..is there other issues? and would this be a good trade??
    new project:
    04 YFZ 450
    Mild Head porting
    FCR 39mm (08'yfz)
    K&N w/ Outerwear
    PRO-X chain
    450r swing arm
    Lonestar Adj. axle
    holeshot MXR6
    ITP T9,T9 BAJA pro rear
    YOSHIMURA/LEXX Mxe system
    LTR450 front shocks
    AC Pro Peg

id keep the ex, ive worked on many yfzs and they all have the same problem of the oil ring going and then piston seizure. the ex is much more reliable
    2008 Can Am DS450X
    2006 636EX

Originally posted by 450Rida
    id keep the ex, ive worked on many yfzs and they all have the same problem of the oil ring going and then piston seizure. the ex is much more reliable
    thanks for the input! anyone else. i would like any thoughts from both
    new project:
    04 YFZ 450
    Mild Head porting
    FCR 39mm (08'yfz)
    K&N w/ Outerwear
    PRO-X chain
    450r swing arm
    Lonestar Adj. axle
    holeshot MXR6
    ITP T9,T9 BAJA pro rear
    LTR450 front shocks
    AC Pro Peg

I've had my 04 since March of 04 and have never had an oil ring go bad or a piston to seize. I've worked on a few as well and for the most part no issues with the yfz topend other than normal wear and tear. As for the ex being more reliable... it's motor is not designed quite like any of the 450's. A race bike shouldn't be as reliable as a non race bike.
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

I disagree. My YFZ has been great to me, never had a problem with it. I have a buddy with one and my uncle has one and neither of them have had any problems either. Do your regularly needed maintainence and you're good to go. My uncle traded his '04 EX straight across for an '04 YFZ and he's glad he did it.

i traded a fully built 426ex big bore for a bone stock 06 yfz and dont regret it one bit. i love my yfz and would never consider having anything less. its all about how u maintain ur bike is to if it will be ragged out motor. that option is up to u and there is no way id not trade it if i was u unless the yfz was beat and ragged to the max

Man i never had an ex but i love my yfz got my 07 yfz lil over a year ago. It was like new when i got it. I put between 4 and 6 hours on mine every weekend and i have had no probs and i rod on it. I clean my filter every ride and oil every 2 rides. The exs r good but the yfz has much more potential out of the box.

As far as the oil issue all you gotta do is the oil mod and ur good to go. TRADE the EX this is a no brainer to me!
    07 YFZ 450 leagers +2 +1, lonestar axle and hub, cam mod, zip ty mod, vitos needle and screw, FMF powercore4,power madd, ODI, blingstar nerfs, SRP rotor

thank for all the replys!! it has a catch. shop told him head gasket needs replaced..still worth it? he's the 2nd owener. bought it off a 17 year old
    new project:
    04 YFZ 450
    Mild Head porting
    FCR 39mm (08'yfz)
    K&N w/ Outerwear
    PRO-X chain
    450r swing arm
    Lonestar Adj. axle
    holeshot MXR6
    ITP T9,T9 BAJA pro rear
    LTR450 front shocks
    AC Pro Peg

Originally posted by eotrx400ex
    thank for all the replys!! it has a catch. shop told him head gasket needs replaced..still worth it? he's the 2nd owener. bought it off a 17 year old
    pssht head gasket $30 bucks yea id trade

hmm

well i never owned a YFZ so i cant say weather they are good bikes or not but they have quite a following so i would say that there are good enough. I have however owned an 02 400EX and a 87 250X and there is one thing any Honda owner must never forget.......they are one of the most reliable quads ever built. some might even say grenade proof. I have told this story before but i have even had a friend that had his oil leak out while on the trail (plug fell out, his fault:P )and he didn't notice till he got back to his truck and the thing was completely empty no telling how long no damage just filled it back up new plug and hit the track the next day old girl never missed a beat. so i would say if you are happy with your EX and what it does for you keep it. If your looking to move up in motor size and performance then trade up. Good luck
    87 Honda 250X (SOLD)
    02 Honda 400EX (SOLD)

03 Cannondale 432

"What We Lack In Brains, We Make Up For In Altitude."

"Ride Safe, Ride Forever."
    Thanks JJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast