Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 450r carb.

Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
    My air box is in the stock location. All I did was use a dremel tool and CAREFULLY removed the areas in the intake and intake boot, so it would fit in there. Works like a dream and fits perfect... It isn't hard just tedious.. As far as the plunger goes I have read guys having success with just filling them in, but I played it safe and used the plunger and rtv..

John
    Did you just pull the tab back and stick the bolt in? I can pull that tab back far enough to get the bolt it but it seems like it puts uneeded stress on the connection between the boot and carb. I have the plunger, spring, and black nut but the threads are messed up on the nut (part that threads into the carb) I think i got it started in there though and I just topped it off with RTV. I'm not 100 percent sure on the jetting yet. I have a 162 main with the stock pilot and 3 turns out but I think i need to go bigger on both. I just have a 416 with filter, some holes in the lid, and slip on. Grinding the header welds this winter.

I am not sure what exactly what tab you are talking about??

John
    440ex PPE Stg II headwork, Kibblewhite springs, Crf timing chain, stgIII H cam, Wiseco 11-1, GTT studs, Cometic gaskets, 450 carb, Sparks cdi, Oversize oil tank, LSR +1 stem, LSR +2 arms, , dura-blue X-33 axle, Dura-blue hub/fade/carrier, TAG, Hinson clutch/basket, HMF full pipe, ITP, ASM, IMS, DID X ring, UNI, UM, MAIER, Pro Armor skids, Stainless bolts, brake lines, 450r shocks, Sidwinder, Tusk, Wave.. A lil sprocket work,

Just the mounting tab on the back of the airbox that you bolt to the sub frame. When the carb is fully bolted up it moves my air box about 1/2 inch and the mounting hole on that "tab" does not line up anymore unless I pull back on it and stick the bolt in, however, it also pulls back on the boot between the box and carb causing stress on that connection.

Took it for a ride today to try and figure out jetting and got some mixed results. I have a 416 with filter and slip on, with the stock carb I ran a 40 pilot, 2.5 turns on the screw, and a 155 main. Added the 450 carb with a 48 pilot, 3 turns, and a 162 main thinking I would be golden. If you stab the throttle it will fall on its face for a second and then pick back up (assuming it's fat on the main), but I also have some popping on decel. I wouldnt think with the stock pilot and 3 turns it would be lean but i don't know. Also I just now realized i never even looked at the needle, maybe that is causing my problems.

you will probably have to go to at least a 52 pilot i would think. and the 162 should be pretty close imo maybe a size or two too big. get the pilot circuit setup first after it is warmed up to full temp then you can start to work on the main after that. the needle should be good on the 3rd clip position too. Ill check to see what pilot i am running then get back to you. I cant seem to recall which it is but believe it to be a 52 pilot. it was super lean with the 48 in mine too. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

OK thanks, I didn't think i would need that big of a pilot, but I am going to be grinding my header welds sometime soon so I'm hoping that my main will get a little closer with that. I'll go check on my needle, I'm going to assume its already in the 3rd position but you never know.

did you get a chance to work on it at all? steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

It sounds like your past this point now but maybe some else can benefit form the info.
    When I put my 450 carb on, it was very easy. The intake boot went on just fine with a little wd-40 and a little twist as you slide it on. You do have to use a deferent clamp because the stock one won’t fit.
    The air box boot was easy as well, just go to any hardware store and get a 2”x2” rubber boot for a pvc pipe and it will slide over the air box boot just right, then take a knife and cut the excess off leaving about a ½” to 3/4” sticking out past the stock boot. Take it back off and turn it around and slip the cut end over the air box boot and put a clamp on it.
    Now the good end should stick out about ¾” past the stock boot, it should now fit in the stock passion and reach the carb.

It should look like this when your done.

Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

QUOTE]Originally posted by bherriman
    Yea I've got it working good with the box moved up, I just wanted to keep the box in the stock location so the snorkle isn't in a bind or anything. Also can you just fill the hot start up with silicon or do you need the plunger. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
    My air box is in the stock location. All I did was use a dremel tool and CAREFULLY removed the areas in the intake and intake boot, so it would fit in there. Works like a dream and fits perfect... It isn't hard just tedious.. As far as the plunger goes I have read guys having success with just filling them in, but I played it safe and used the plunger and rtv..

John
    NOW, HEAR THIS....

Reguarding the use of the Plunger, vs.,...
    Silicone,
    RTV,
    Rubber plugs,
    etc.,.....

You MUST use the Plunger.

It is NOT, simply a matter, of plugging the hole.

It IS a matter of plugging the PORT,
    at the lower section of the passage.

The EASIEST,
    and,
    LEAST TROUBLESOME,
    way to do this,
    is,.....

TO USE THE PLUNGER !

READ the "Shootout" thread very carefully.
    then read it again.

Pay PARTICULAR ATTENTION to my post on page 8, dated 09-15-09, at 7:34 pm.
    (third from the bottom, on page 8)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

I tried to explain WHY it is important, to use the Plunger,....
    AND WHAT will happen, if you try to simply plug the top of the plunger PORT,...
    WITHOUT using the Plunger.

Bottom line here guys is,....

you will save yourselfs ALOT of headaches, if you just
    USE THE PLUNGER.

Its running, but the jetting isn't perfect. The weather turned to absolute crap here (70 deg. Monday and now today the high was 37) so i probably wont ride anymore this year. I'm trying to pick out what jets i want, and then get an order put together so I'm not paying shipping for just jets. I still haven't figured out a solution to my air box location, and I'm wondering how Slightlybent's doens't leak? I figured when you tightened the the hose clamp down on the boot it would just crush it and not seal up. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but as we are already on the topic, when you install the plunger and spring do you just drop them down in the hole? Or is there a correct way of doing it?
    '05 400ex------------*SOLD*
    - 11:1 wiseco 416

- K&N with outerwear

- 450r Carb

- FMF PowerCore 4 slip on- FOR SALE (Big Gun or LRD next)

- Tusk nerfs with heel guards

- WTB: 450 Front Shocks

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast