Thread: Help!! Electrical problems

Help!! Electrical problems

I turned the key and pushed the button on my 400ex and it started but the starter kept going. I turned off the key and it still kept going. I quickly disconnected one of the battery cables. Now every time I touch the cable to the battery it turns over even if the key is off. If they key is on and it starts it will just keep going unless I take the cable off the battery. I tried to look for grounded or disconnected wires but I couldn't find any. Part of the problem is that I don't know where the problem would be. Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks,
    Tim
    1999 honda 440ex, maier race plastics, fmf slip on, pro taper bars, bored 40 over, factory effex seat cover, trail tech lights, douglas rims, ITP tires

Stolen - 1988 honda trx 250x, maxxis tires

Stolen - 1999 honda recon

starter solenoid (round thing to the left of your battery) is more then likely "stuck" open, you need a new one. $90 from your dealer or you can use a generic autozone one for $20-30 and mount it on your quad somehow. As long as its 12v it wont really matter.

could be the starter button sticking to right?

Originally posted by killer454
    could be the starter button sticking to right?
    ehhhhh could be but unlikely unless he somehow got some mud in there. You can take it apart (its just 2 Philips head screws) and spray it with some brake cleaner and see if that works but id put money on the solenoid.

I took apart the starter button and it looked fine. I don't really want to buy a solenoid unless that is the problem for sure. Is there any way to test it?
    1999 honda 440ex, maier race plastics, fmf slip on, pro taper bars, bored 40 over, factory effex seat cover, trail tech lights, douglas rims, ITP tires

If you knows someone else with a 400ex, you could borrow their solenoid to test. I'll go ahead and bet that's what it is, though.

Just grab the solenoid in your hand and touch the wire to the battery (your starter will start to spin) but you should feel or hear a "click" from the solenoid. no click means bad solenoid.
    OR
    If you have a small truck the solenoid is usually firewall mounted and not mounted to the starter so you could take it off and wire it to the quad real quick to test it. Or just go buy a cheap car one and wire it up and test it then go take it back after lol.

Most auto pats stores should have a cheap one like this...
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10301/10002/-1

I didn't hear or feel a click so I guess it must be a solenoid. Thanks for the help everyone.