Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokes A Lot

Smokes A Lot

I FEEL LIKE MY WHEELER SMOKES MORE THAN IT SHOULD. LIKE WHEN I FIRST START IT SMOKES A LOT BUT GETS A LITTLE BETTER AFTER I HAVE BEEN RIDING BUT NEVER REALLY GETS BETTER. JUST IDLEING IT SMOKES EXCESSIVELY. WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS. ITS A RESLEEVED CYLINDER 72.5 BORE I MIX IT 36:1 NOT SURE ON THE CARB IT NOT STOCK IT A PWK THAT SAYS 71A4 NEJ ON THE SIDE. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

could be excessive oil build up in the pipe (from a previous owner running it way rich) or it has the right side crank seal leaking and burning crankcase oil.

I JUST HAD THE PIPE OFF AND CLEANED IT OUT AND REPACKED THE SILENCER. HOW WOULD I KNOW FOR SURE IF IT THE CRANK SEAL. AND COULD IT BE IT JUST NEEDS A REBUILD? IT BEEN OVER A YEAR ON THIS TOP END BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW LONG IT BEEN SMOKING LIKE THIS.

you would have to do a leakdown test on it. Where you block off the exhaust and pump air in the in the intake (I built my own with a quage some pvc pipe and a expandable rubber plug) I think it has to hold 6 psi for several minutes. If not you have to start listening and looking for leaks. I hope this makes some sort of sense maybe someone else will explain it better.

YEAH IT MAKES SENSE I GOT TO PULL THE CLUTCH SIDE COVER OFF ANY WAY TO FIX THE CLUTCH, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN LOOK FOR IN THERE TO SEE IF IT A SEAL LEAKING?

well i dont think it will be anything obvious that you are gonna be able to see.

there are a few things that'll cause what you are experiencing. a pilot jet thats too large, a plugged overflow tube in conjunction with a seeping float valve(allowing fuel to over flow into engine), a float thats set too high, a clutch side crank seal and/or a center case gasket.

the best thing to do is to research doing a leakdown test and double check the other ares i mention.
    250R's...... "they gots bite wiff dat bark !!!" R's are fo sand bars.....

'86 TRX250R (265)
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '86 TRX250R (CT310) WIP
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '89 TRX250R (WIP)
    '88 Blastee (WIP)

Reeds stuck open or broken possibly

IT RUNS FINE AND I DON,T THINK IT WOULD BE THE PILOT CAUSE I DON'T THINK IT USED TO DO IT. DO I HAVE TO SPLIT CASES TO GET TO THE CRANK SEAL OR IS BEHIND THE CLUTCH?

no need to split the cases to replace the seal.

incase you need reference to do a leak down test go HERE
    250R's...... "they gots bite wiff dat bark !!!" R's are fo sand bars.....

'86 TRX250R (265)
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '86 TRX250R (CT310) WIP
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '89 TRX250R (WIP)
    '88 Blastee (WIP)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast