Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?'s about my rebuild

?'s about my rebuild

I started my rebuild today.I've got everything taken apart and ive got a couple of questions now.
    #1 There is a fair amonut of carbon on the valves.Maybe 1/32 enough to see it caked on there.I havent done a leak test yet.But i want to get the carbon off before i put it all back togeather.I dont have the cash for new one now so how can i clean the valves with any damage to em?
    #2 I didnt mess with em mush but the gaskets were stuck on pretty good.What is the best way to get the paper gaskets off?
    #3 I didnt see any signs of excessive wear on anything.The cyclinder looks really good,I can still see the hone marks on it.No scratches at all.But i have been going tru between 4-8 oz's of oil with every tank of gas,Been smoking heavy at the start up and dont notice it as much after warm up,but you still smell it.I checked the ring gap and the top two rings were way over spec.I think max on the top ring was.014 and the 2nd ring was .026.When i checked it was about .025-.040. Do you think that would be the cause of all the oil loss?Ill be replacing the valve seals also to be safe.But not the guides.
    BTW im adding my piston and cam thats in my sig.
    00 400 ex
    far from stock.

out of 20 views nobody can help me???
    00 400 ex
    far from stock.

i thought people on here knew something,Guess i was wrong.HELLO???????????
    00 400 ex
    far from stock.

well for the gasket problem.. Did you try a gasket scraper...

don't know anything else on the other ?'s
    -----------04 YFZ450-----------

White/Red
    RIS Designs Billet Bumper, Billet Chain Guard.

GYTR Carbon pipe and aluminum headpipe. Open Airbox w/ K&N. Rejet.

Custom seat by XtremeQuadCovers.com

-------------------------------------------

Kasea 90

Yellow, +2 Hetrick A-arms, Chrome Fan Cover, Hetricks Chrome Exhaust.

Coming +2 Swing Arm, Candy Blue Frmae, AC Nerf's, paddles,and more.

Hey Bro soak the valves in some carb cleaner. You can clean them up with some emory paper. Just be careful not to put any deep scratches on them. Also once you start make sure you get all of the carbon off.
    Did you bore the cylinder or are you just reringing it? Take a piece of 3M scotch brite wrap it around your hone and run it through the cylinder as though you were honing it.
    Clean the cylinder in water and soap as hot as you can stand it. Blow it dry and and spray with a lubricant such as wd-40.

Have any questions I will try to help.
    Teufel

Appalachian Motorsports
    Appalachianmotorsports.com

METZGERHUND MOTORSPORTS

Didnt know ther ewas a gasket scraper really.
    Yes i will be going up to a 416 from stock.What is the scotch brite for? just cleaning up anything from the bore?They should hone it after the bore right?
    00 400 ex
    far from stock.

A gasket scraper is fine , be careful not to gouge. They will hone it after boring. Preferably find a shop that hones the bore to size instead of cutting it. Most shops that do hi performance stuff will be able to do it. The scotch brite will smooth the bore out somewhat and allow the rings to seat quicker with minimum wear on them.
    Teufel

Appalachian Motorsports
    Appalachianmotorsports.com

METZGERHUND MOTORSPORTS

A sharp utility knife blade works pretty good on the gasket.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

razor blade... one of those things that scrapes the paint off of windows that is like a razor
    Originally posted by Smokin 440
    Yeah special ed kid in my outdoor skills class, wanna beat him to a pulp, it's supposed to be a fun slacker class not listen to a fricken kid sqeal like a pig and say sfgnkerskgcandy barlgolhs

2007 Honda Rancher- 28" Mud lights on SS wheels, 2" lift
    1999 Bayliner Capri Ski Boat

THanks everyone.I have some clues as to what to do now.Just want to make sure i do this right.I dont want it to come apart on me in a month or two.I thought i was gonna have to get midevil on somebody to get a answer :devil There were 30 some views with no replies.
    Teufel,The scotch brite wont scratch it up?
    00 400 ex
    far from stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast