Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DDM Tuning 400ex HID how-to

DDM Tuning 400ex HID how-to

Here is an install I did of a DDM HID Kit. I've done 5 of these so far and we carried them all out to Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago to ride the dunes. Treated them rough and did lots of night riding with no issues. For $35 you can't beat them. Here's what you need to order:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
    Bulb Type: H6M (+$10.00)
    Wattage: 35 Watt
    Bulb Color: 6000K

Here's the wiring diagram I came up with to make it light one light on low and both on high.

Pull the plastics and remove the headlight assembly. Pull the boots back and remove the screws holding the bulbs in.

Cut the wiring to the sockets and pull the boots off the wires. (I leave enough wire to put them back later if I want.)

Install the new bulbs in the housing. Cut the wires on the extra harness and pull them out of the boot.

Cut the back out of the original boots from the bike. I use scissors.

Install the modified old boots over the new ones and they will seal up nicely.

Drill the mounting hole in the relays and mount them to the bolts that hold the oil cooler.

Mount the HID boxes somewhere you feel comfortable. I cut a mounting plate out of sheet metal and pop rivet it to the frame. Then I mount the boxes with 3M double sided tape and put a big zip-tie on for good measure.

Wire everything up according to the diagram and you're ready to go. I run the low side off the factory harness and I run a new wire from the battery with a seperate fuse to run the highs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dsm_racing; 03-06-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Reposted diagram. I will repost photos if I ever find a copy of them.
    2008 700xx - Two Brothers slip-on, K&N, Pro Armor bumper & nerfs, L8ton Racing sway bar, HIDs

2000 400ex - 440 12.5:1 Wiseco, K&N, LRD full exhaust, HIDs

2008 RZR - +5 long travel, Afco shocks w/ Progressive springs, Two Brothers slip-on, Two Brothers Juice Box, Donaldson intake, Dynatek ignition

2007 BMW 335i - Burger Motorsports juice box 3 at 14psi, K&N dual intake

1994 Mitsubishi GSX - Too much to list. 420awhp, 7.7 @ 96mph 1/8th mile

Sweet how to.

DDM is a great company, been doing business with them for a few years. Lifetime warranty on ballasts AND bulbs....who does that?!
    You might want to go with DDM digital ballasts however. The digital circutry gives you a "soft start" removing the startup voltage from your factory lines. This helps keep your bike from becoming a fireball & are even more waterproof & compact. Not bad for being 20 bux more

Awesome!!!!! Why don't they come like this from factory???

Anyone know if this can be done on a 2-stroke with no battery?

awesome. I know what im doing come this winter

Nice write up, I think this should be a sticky.

The stock EX lights just don't cut it.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

EXCELLENT write-up !
    I vote for Sticky too !!!

This WILL be getting done to the "Tri5ron-AADS-Research-Vehicle" !

THANKS !!!

Quick question, does the blue lead that comes off the left relay connect to or go over the white wire on the left switch of the diagram?

It looks to me like it just goes over and doesnt connect but I want to clarify it if possible.

Originally posted by CJM
    Quick question, does the blue lead that comes off the left relay connect to or go over the white wire on the left switch of the diagram?

It looks to me like it just goes over and doesnt connect but I want to clarify it if possible.
    Per his diagram, the blue wire is not connected to the white wire.

Originally posted by tri5ron
    Per his diagram, the blue wire is not connected to the white wire.
    That's correct. The two are not connected.
    2008 700xx - Two Brothers slip-on, K&N, Pro Armor bumper & nerfs, L8ton Racing sway bar, HIDs

2000 400ex - 440 12.5:1 Wiseco, K&N, LRD full exhaust, HIDs

2008 RZR - +5 long travel, Afco shocks w/ Progressive springs, Two Brothers slip-on, Two Brothers Juice Box, Donaldson intake, Dynatek ignition

2007 BMW 335i - Burger Motorsports juice box 3 at 14psi, K&N dual intake

1994 Mitsubishi GSX - Too much to list. 420awhp, 7.7 @ 96mph 1/8th mile

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast