Thread: possible jetting problem?

possible jetting problem?

I'm currently located in Anchorage, AK. When I was on leave in between PCSing from Japan to here I went home to TN and picked up an 07 400ex. It has an hmf slip on with a uni filter, stock lid. I rode the crap out of it while i was home for 2 weeks and had no problems, other than it being a little cold natured. I just received the quad here in AK and got it fired up and now its not running right. Without the choke on, it wont idle or rev out. With the choke at 1/2ish (the detent) it seems to run fine. It also blows a tiny bit of black smoke when revved. I have no idea what jets are currently in it, but i'm assuming that they are the issue here? I have never messed with jetting so i'm gonna have a buddy that has help me out tonight when I get off work, I just wondered what recomendations ya'll might have for the jet sizes or anything else that may be causing this problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh and we are pretty much right at sea level here as well, according to google my hometown where i bought it is about 700ft at the lowest.
    07 400ex
    AC nerfs
    AC skids
    HMF slip on
    Moose front bumper

Id make sure the carbs clean, slap a new plug in it and ride around. If its tan/chocolate brown its good, whites lean and blacks rich.

it sounds to me like its possibly rich-remember the temp and air density might be very different from where you were.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!