Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESR Port work, any good? Pics

Hybrid View

ESR Port work, any good? Pics

Ok, so I've read that a long time ago esr didnt have that good of port work. Some one said it looked like a "cookie cutter". I called them last year and asked if they could improve on it and get me some more power and they said yes. This may be true but then again they might just wanted to get my money. I am rebuilding the top end this winter and want to know who to send it to. Who do yall recommend? And what do yall think of this port work?

89TRX310ESR,9porting,11pipe,38Mikuni,Ported Radvalve,CR ignition, lightened CR flywheel, lightened counterbalancer,Dunlophttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/000_0769.jpg

I was the one that got sent the new cylinder with the awful port cleanup work. From what Ive seen now they do clean up the ports way better. I had sent mine back and had to pay to get it done right but it looked 100x better.

Heres what they sent me first:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 K&T 250 R 76x76

09 Pimped CC Precedent

Heres What I got after I sent it back + 100$:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 K&T 250 R 76x76

09 Pimped CC Precedent

Well its not that they're not good............its just if you order a regular cylinder, you're gonna get a their "cast" porting. You can ask that it be ported and Eddie will actually go in and port it for you for a few more bucks.

When you spend $600 on a new cylinder, you're not going to get a $300 port job. I have to say, even though my cylinder is not "technically" ported........it runs like a scalded dog. I can't wait to send it off. I will say that Neil (C-Leigh Racing) can give you a great port job.
    1989 TRX250R
    Arens frame, & steering stem/+4 Chrome swing arm
    Laeger's +2 +1 a-arms/Ohlins shocks front & rear
    Full Bore fenders
    ESR 310, 38 airstryker, ESR elim. kit
    Hank Deharts old 250R!

1993 Yamaha Banshee
    setup for drag racing
    motor coming soon!!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...tuff6001-1.jpg

Ruff...

ESR Porting looks ruff, however; ruff is not necessarily bad as long as it is not too ruff…

Wes350x looks better; I would say it is acceptable. Porting does not need to be polished; a bead blast finish is actually better as long as all the ruff high spots are properly blended. A balanced flow across all port windows, including exhaust, transfers and boost is the sign of a good port job. Porting and testing on a flow bench is the best way to go, however; cost will be in the $450 range as time is the dollar factor. I have seen good porting take 8 hours or more including flow bench work.

Neil sounds like an excellent choice; BDT Motorsports is an excellent source as well. As stated correctly by 1promodfan; don’t expect a +$300 port job in a $600 cylinder, you get what you pay for.

Carlos.

When I bought my complete top end kit for $1500 and I specified trx9 porting I thought this was what I was getting. A full port job. Even if I had sent in a stock cylinder for them to port wouldnt the port work be the same? So yall are saying it is not?
    89TRX310ESR,9porting,11pipe,38Mikuni,Ported Radvalve,CR ignition, lightened CR flywheel, lightened counterbalancer,Dunlophttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/000_0769.jpg

Originally posted by 1promodfan
    I can't wait to send it off. I will say that Neil (C-Leigh Racing) can give you a great port job.
    ^^ Agreed ^^
    A wise man can learn more from a foolish question,
    than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

Bruce Lee

^^ x3

Originally posted by speedfreek
    When I bought my complete top end kit for $1500 and I specified trx9 porting I thought this was what I was getting. A full port job. Even if I had sent in a stock cylinder for them to port wouldnt the port work be the same? So yall are saying it is not?
    If you send them a stock cylinder, its gonna get ported. Its just that their "new" cylinders have most of the port work "cast" into the cylinder.

This is what I was told........all are cast with the TRX-7 porting. If you order the TRX-9 port job, Eddie does go in and port them to some degree. If you order the TRX-11 porting, then he goes a little further.

So if I order a new ESR cylinder with the TRX-9 porting, I can request it be ported some more, so I can get more out of it. Its not that their porting is bad, its if you order either of their cylinders, you're getting what everyone else does.

I think its best to order it with whatever porting you like, then send it off to someone to have it ported according to your riding needs.
    1989 TRX250R
    Arens frame, & steering stem/+4 Chrome swing arm
    Laeger's +2 +1 a-arms/Ohlins shocks front & rear
    Full Bore fenders
    ESR 310, 38 airstryker, ESR elim. kit
    Hank Deharts old 250R!

1993 Yamaha Banshee
    setup for drag racing
    motor coming soon!!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...tuff6001-1.jpg

i buy same esr 310 trx9 portin kit-portin was no good-send back to esr pay $100 more and still not slow not fast-not impresed-i talk to mi builder he say run it from esr first see how it run-i run it and send to bdt motorsports they port & flow for $375-i run it and big big big diferense now my front end comes up very esily-i shoul not hav pay esr $100 more-

2x bdt motorsports portin & flow-
    250R's are way2fast4U 4 poke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast