Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitster pro 125 Vs. Raptor 125

Originally posted by T@AFP
    I really don't think you can compare the Pitster to the Xtreme. The geometry is way better on the Pitster. The frame engineering and chromoly steel tubing is better. The Pitster was designed to be raced. Not a "backyard" quad. Serious thought went in to the concept of this machine. But understand it is a Taiwan built machine. So it does have it's flaws. But thoughs can easily be overcome.
    So my opinion, based on all the testing and R&D, I would think the Pitster is a much better quad.

Snap! I sound like a frickin commercial for them.
    I guess two too many trips to the coffee pot this morning.
    I have to disagree with you on that Tom . Kenny Vaughn designed the Typhoon to be a race bike. Xtreme cut corners on his original design which is why the bike had so many issues once it was released. The frame on the bike is one of the strongest you would have ever seen on a mini. The earlier years lacked a brace underneath the motor which caused them to break. The geometry on the bike is superb as the bike has a low center of gravity and rails the corners very well. Zero tilting no matter how hard he enters the corners. Even when we were at the stock length of 41.5 inches Jam had never had issues with tilting. Now at 46inches that's not even a thoght. Jam can actually whip the bike in the air on jumps. You're talking about a 9yr old that only weighs 70pds moving a 250+pd bike in the air. Is the Pitster a much better quad in stock trim? YES... A much better quad both bikes fully built? Not so sure
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

quads

I thought that Kenny Vaughn did the design on the Typhoon.

We always wanted to see one run that was properly set up when we raced these minis but unfortunately no one has had one at a National. ( I have heard that if set up properly they fly)

I have seen a Pitster run and it ws okay, i think with a little more testing and R &D they will be good too.

Actually i was exploring being a dealer here in Michigan but our local rules dont favor 4 strokes in Production racing.

Thanks for the info...
    ATV OUTLAWS RACING TEAM, HONDA EAST TOLEDO,COUNTRY GRAINS BREAD CO.,
    ELKA SUSPENSION, FIERCE POWERSPORTS, PRO TAPER,
    GOODMAN RACING. RAGE ENGINES. FLY RACING, WALSH RACECRAFT, HINSON CLUTCHES,FOURWERX CARBON, MAXIS TIRES

Joe Scarrow trainer/ coach and tech.

Ryan Korody # 925 2014 450B and Production B National Champion

Rob we have been around minis a long time are now making move to bikes with that said we raced typhoons and beat a lot of good minis that should have beat us the typhoon can be a good race quad we used to race lem caymans still would if you could get parts we had some very fast lems as you know Xtreme is out of biz motor parts are easy it will geat hard find other parts soon I am lucky Dylan has a machine that helps him out that would be biggest fear about pister with times hard how long will they be around I worked at a yamaha shop at one time rumor was the 125 was on 250 chassie if so there a lot of parts out there you will be limted on the pister the mini quad parts is a small market and most dads at local races do not spend much money biggest concern about these bikes are parts If honda would step up like yamaha did it would be over soon for the others

i dont know much about this.

What 125 4 stroke atv motor can beat a 2fast motor?

I wouldn't think that would be possible.

Originally posted by Ryko racing
    I thought that Kenny Vaughn did the design on the Typhoon.

We always wanted to see one run that was properly set up when we raced these minis but unfortunately no one has had one at a National. ( I have heard that if set up properly they fly)

I have seen a Pitster run and it ws okay, i think with a little more testing and R &D they will be good too.

Actually i was exploring being a dealer here in Michigan but our local rules dont favor 4 strokes in Production racing.

Thanks for the info...
    My error lol, Guy Cooper was Xtreme's Pit Bike guy. K Fab did design on the Typhoon. I've had several parents that attend Nationals compliment on our build and some of those think it will do well at Nationals. I'm not really familiar on the classes at Nationals and don't know where it would be placed so I won't comment on how I think our bike will do.

Originally posted by lem dad
    Rob we have been around minis a long time are now making move to bikes with that said we raced typhoons and beat a lot of good minis that should have beat us the typhoon can be a good race quad we used to race lem caymans still would if you could get parts we had some very fast lems as you know Xtreme is out of biz motor parts are easy it will geat hard find other parts soon I am lucky Dylan has a machine that helps him out that would be biggest fear about pister with times hard how long will they be around I worked at a yamaha shop at one time rumor was the 125 was on 250 chassie if so there a lot of parts out there you will be limted on the pister the mini quad parts is a small market and most dads at local races do not spend much money biggest concern about these bikes are parts If honda would step up like yamaha did it would be over soon for the others
    I agree with you on the parts about the Typhoon but not the Pitster. You can buy parts for the Typhoon you just have to know what dealers sale parts. Xtreme sold out and went out of business but there are dealers that sale parts for the bike as it is still mass produced overseas and shipped to the U.S under FYM. The Pitster has it's dealers as well and they've been around for awhile with their Pitbikes. They're not going anywhere . GForce is only one of many Pitster dealers.

Originally posted by john willhoite
    i dont know much about this.

What 125 4 stroke atv motor can beat a 2fast motor?

I wouldn't think that would be possible.
    My opinion a 125cc Thumper won't run with a 2Fast motor. Your built 125 may put out 14-15hp. HotQuads is saying 25hp on their 2Fast builds so the 125 would get left in the dust. Would have to be more like 150cc's and setup correctly.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

That's ok my friend, You aren't the first person to disagree / me.
    The "tilting" you mentioned. I assume you're refering to diving/ rolling in the corners? That has to do with proper shock/A arm set up which maybe good on your quad.
    But, correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't that quad originally a bike that they bolted a quad front end on? That's the part that made me nervous. After thoughts from a manufacture dissapoint me. For example, when DRR had the single A arm model. Then they installed a hoop on the frame to convert it to a dual A arm model. That was a nightmare. The geometry was...not so good.

That is an awesome pic of Jam!

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
    I have to disagree with you on that Tom . Guy Cooper designed the Typhoon to be a race bike. Xtreme cut corners on his original design which is why the bike had so many issues once it was released. The frame on the bike is one of the strongest you would have ever seen on a mini. The earlier years lacked a brace underneath the motor which caused them to break. The geometry on the bike is superb as the bike has a low center of gravity and rails the corners very well. Zero tilting no matter how hard he enters the corners. Even when we were at the stock length of 41.5 inches Jam had never had issues with tilting. Now at 46inches that's not even a thoght. Jam can actually whip the bike in the air on jumps. You're talking about a 9yr old that only weighs 70pds moving a 250+pd bike in the air. Is the Pitster a much better quad in stock trim? YES... A much better quad both bikes fully built? Not so sure

Back to the Raptor 125, I just ordered one for my 10yo XC racer, Allison. She's been on a modded Suzuki 90 but is getting totally outclassed by the Apex's and DRR's. I'm really hoping that I can get the chassis working well enough for her to be competitive on the Raptor.

I had this same debate with myself, Pitster or Raptor, chose the Raptor in the end because of the electric start. XC racing is a dead engine start and I'm hoping it will give her the edge over the kick-start quads. She isn't used to a quad with a clutch and gears, but hopefully her learning curve will be pretty steep and she can get up to speed quickly.

Anybody know if the Raptor 125 engine is an existing Yamaha engine off a bike? I'd like to put a pipe on it pretty quick.
    '09 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR XC Racer
    2010 35+B Class Champion

Originally posted by T@AFP
    That's ok my friend, You aren't the first person to disagree / me.
    The "tilting" you mentioned. I assume you're refering to diving/ rolling in the corners? That has to do with proper shock/A arm set up which maybe good on your quad.
    But, correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't that quad originally a bike that they bolted a quad front end on? That's the part that made me nervous. After thoughts from a manufacture dissapoint me. For example, when DRR had the single A arm model. Then they installed a hoop on the frame to convert it to a dual A arm model. That was a nightmare. The geometry was...not so good.

That is an awesome pic of Jam!
    Yes, the diving/rolling is what I meant . The Typhoon does have somewhat of a bike design to it. There's a center bar underneath the tank that's the backbone of the frames strength. A Drr/Apex dealer here did our gussett kit and he told me with the design he felt it was one of the best setups he had seen on a mini. The bike doesn't do much flexing so I'm not sure if it's good or bad. But compared to the Drr's/Apex's with more experienced riders Jam jumps just as far and charges through the whoops just as good (if not harder) than they do. He literally jumps/cases into doubles if he can't clear them and we've never had a problem with anything snapping (yet) lol. Thanx for the compliment btw!

If I did have to choose between all three bikes with the info I had right now it would be a tough decision. Deal with the issues of the Typhoon, The higher price of the Pitster, or the uncertainty of the Raptor. If I had to choose I'd go with the Pitster because of my knowledge of the motor and the bikes handling in stock form.

Our build

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

The Pitster looks to be a clear winner out of the box even if the Rappy is modded as it's still a tank. But great now there is a new class to run after the CVT's
    Thanks to both of our sponsors, Me & Me.

Originally posted by ccdhowell
    Back to the Raptor 125, I just ordered one for my 10yo XC racer, Allison. She's been on a modded Suzuki 90 but is getting totally outclassed by the Apex's and DRR's. I'm really hoping that I can get the chassis working well enough for her to be competitive on the Raptor.

I had this same debate with myself, Pitster or Raptor, chose the Raptor in the end because of the electric start. XC racing is a dead engine start and I'm hoping it will give her the edge over the kick-start quads. She isn't used to a quad with a clutch and gears, but hopefully her learning curve will be pretty steep and she can get up to speed quickly.

Anybody know if the Raptor 125 engine is an existing Yamaha engine off a bike? I'd like to put a pipe on it pretty quick.
    It would appear to be based off of the TTR stuff but not sure. We are waiting for our dealer to get the 1st one in. Its due next week and we have 1st crack at buying it..... cant wait to see how it compairs to our Honda
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast