Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pipe information

pipe information

I am not trying to start a fight here just trying to get some information. I have alots of bits of information but not sure what to do with all of it so maybe you guys can help. This is what i am looking for. Where pipes fall performance wise. I know they all give performance and there is alot of different info on that.

example
    pcs pipe: Great low end performance 70 and 90 low rpm
    snyder pipe: great top end performance 70 and 90.
    drr 90 pipe: good 50 pipe with stage 6

all infor will be helpful.

would like to know hetrick gen 2 falls also kool kids pipe. all major brands would be great though.

I'd like to know that too. how about you go buy all those, run them on a dyno and tell us

what size bike and what application (MX/GNCC/flat track) are you looking to get a pipe for? what type of cylinder do you have now or plan to get?

I'm guessing you'll get 10 different opinions from 10 different folks that post on this. If you know what you plan on running, get with a motor builder that knows the class and series and go from there on a package. If you try to take a stock cylinder and throw a $400-500 pipe on it, you will be disappointed. you need to do a number of things to the motor to get those high end pipes to earn their money.

-EA
    Proud Dad of Ethan Ahlm #22
    -2010&2011 ATVA 50cc limited National Champ
    -2010 S.E. Quads 6&under Regional Champ

Rider Home Page:
    http://www.hookit.com/members/ethanahlm/

Thanks to:
    2011 Team Hetrick National Rider
    Amsoil-----No Fear-----Pro Grip-----Motowoz-----DWT Racing
    Gaerne Boots-----GoPro Cameras-----Engine Ice-----Leatt Brace

We tried most of them last year.
    Then we tried the Hetrick gen III (i think gen III).
    We never changed anything else. Just bolted it on and went back out for another practice. My kids lap times were shaved by 3-4 seconds a lap.
    When he came off the track I got the..."What did you change?", Don't touch anything! leave it alone".. thing.

I would try one of those.

I am building a bike in steps as I don't want to get to much power to quickly.

We are currently running a 09 drr 50 with a stage 6 cylinder.

I just purchased a 10 drr 50 set of limited class. It has more power then the stage 6 so this will be our race bike for the 50 class next year.

We are going to turn the 09 into a 70. I know there are 10,000 ways to build a 70. So I am going to try and do it in stages and see how the power works for my son. I am just trying to buy the right parts so we are not buying the same parts over and over again. I know there is no right answer but if we can get close it will help.

Most of you have went through the growing pains as there was nothing out there when you started now there is tons of stuff. I have a wide variety of used pipes out there just trying to find a good starting point.

Currently I have a stage 6 street race 70 cylinder and a Hetrick generation 2 pipe that will be going on this bike with a stage 6 reed cage and stock 24 mm carb from a 09 drr90. I am hoping this will be more power than the 50's.

I was wondering if then I could add a better pipe and have the cylinder ported to go to the next step and then next summer switch over to a high dollar cylinder with port work to match the pipe and pvl to make a monster.

I have found some used pipes also a kool kids and a snyder. I am not sure if these would be a better starting point than the hetrick g2 or if I should just spend the money and buy a trackside or hetrick g3.

I almost forgot we are running HS and at the end of the year we will run some gncc's but won't be 6 until next august. Won 7-9 races in a 4-7 50 class running average 10 riders (alot of them were 8yrs old most of the year). 2 losses were water pump failures Dads fault lead the race until the motor shut off.

Sorry for all the rambling
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by EthansDad
    I'd like to know that too. how about you go buy all those, run them on a dyno and tell us
    That is why I started this thread. You know there are people out there have done most or all of the leg work on this on both 70 and 90 engines. A long time ago some one was going to do a pipe shoot and have everybody send them pipes but I never saw the final information.

FYI - kool kidz pipe is a rip off of the
    Hetrick gen 2 pipe. So you know.
    brandons dad #55

2007 Atco MX 50cc stk. Track Champion
    2008 Atco MX 50cc & 70cc Track Champion
    2008 Englishtown 50cc & 70cc Track Champion
    2009 Atco MX 70cc & 90cc Track Champion
    2009 Englishtown 70cc prod track Champion
    2009 Tri-State Championship 70cc 3rd Overall
    2009 Thunder Series 70cc 3rd Overall
    2009 Englishtown 90cc prod 3rd overall
    2010 Thunder Series 90cc cvt 2nd overall
    2010 Atco MX 90cc cvt 2nd overall
    2010 E-town youth 90cc cvt 2nd overall

Hook It ID~ brandongraceracing
    Facebook~Jim Grace

2011 SPONSORS:
    HOT QUADS ~ Marc
    MOM & DAD

2007 DRX 90cc Malossi / Fox #55
    2007 Yamaha Blaster / elka #55
    2003 Z400 Yoshimura / Works #99

Bro, you can't build a engine around a pipe. You said your gonna do this in stages correct? You need to have the engine and clutching all built to spec to your preference before the pipe is considered. Then, you can call around and tell the pipe builder what you have and go from there. Otherwise, your gonna chase your tail. IMO
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

I have had good success with the metrakit pro race pipe on several motors of different specs.it may not be the best pipe out there but it works well all around
    TS RACING
    Tanner Sorrow #12
    90 OPEN
    90 AUTO SENIOR

Thanks to Tom and Atv 4 Play
    Thanks to Norris@ Quinn Motorsports

2012 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER/PEEWEE 70CC CHAMPION
    2013 DURHAMTOWN PEEWEE 90CC CHAMPION
    2014 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER 90CC CHAMPION

I will only use the PCS pipe after using many different pipes prior to using it. Anyone that has tried that pipe that I have suggested to use it have given me nothing but positive info.

We have used it on the 70 Polini, 90 Apex cylinder that was sleeved to 50mm with a 45 stroke and also a Malossi Big bore setup.

But as someone said, you will get 10 different opinions on this topic
    Team Maine Racing
    Drew Blackstone 44x
    www.teammaineracing.net
    G-Force Racing/PCS Performance/DRT Racing/Coutt's Bros., Inc/Scott Goggles/ Crystyle Concepts/ Apex ATV/ RND Racing/ Hillside Performance/ Parks Performance

I'm with the guy on engine, clutch first

Really I believe suspension first

That being said we use a Trackside with a lot of additional engine, suspension, ignition and clutch mods. Nothing readily available except the Hetrick III and PCS (Which we have also owned) worked as well in the woods. Snyder makes good power but revs more to make it

Custom pipes are only as good as the builders knowledge base of expansion chambers and the kit it will be running

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast