Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance hop ups for DS 250???

Performance hop-up's for DS 250, anyone???

Anyone playing with tuning one of these?

We got one for the wife when I got my Outlander this past spring, good promotion going from Can AM. She liked it at first but then we realized it could use some tweaking, had trouble on some hills at the riding park we ride at in PA.
    Hence, I couldn't resist to start playing and have so far tuned the clutch so it rev's higher and more freely to use the HP from this 4-valve head, instead of lugging so low from the factory setup.
    Added +2 wheel spacers to the front with the set of Works Performance AT-steeler dual rate shocks (that I had from a previous 250 race quad), and changed the rear 20" OEM tires to a 22", installed a Uni-Filter. This thing gets up and scoots now, will climb hills effortlessly that it previously would wimper and groan at.

I know there are exhaust available, but not ready to pay the big $$$ just yet.

Any other experiences or recommendations out there? Would gladly trade some tech knowledge.
    2008 Can Am 650XT
    2008 Can Am DS250 with FPP Performance Clutch Kit
    2004 Arctic Cat 90 2-stroke with FPP hot trail engine mods and PEP shocks.

Where did you get the wheel spacers from? How much were they? Do you think the back needs spacers too?

Thanks

I got 2" billet spacers. We installed wider and taller 22" Swamp Lite rear tires so the 2" spacers evened out the front with the rear. The biggest improvement though was the Works dual rate shocks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Can Am 650XT

Thanks for the wheel spacer info. That seems to be the biggest problem my wife has with her quad at the moment is that it is tippy. So I will address that first. So far we have only done desert riding with it, so not too many hills. I hope get it out to the dunes soon to see how it does there. I think I might have to look at a clutch mod depending on how it does.

It will only help, here is where I got mine from (Mesa AZ) so close to you... By far the best deal $$$.

I highly recommend the clutch tuning, it makes the machine pull harder and doesn't lug the engine as much. My wife found it easier to ride because she didn't have to use as much throttle so it was more predictable as well.
    And it didn't cost a dime...
    2008 Can Am 650XT

wheel spacers

i'm confused. i used 4x110 bolt pattern on my sons. worked fine. are the 110 &144 that close togeather or could they possably have different patterns
    06 BRUTEFORCE 4x4i

09 GRIZZLY 700 efi eps

Re: wheel spacers

Originally posted by RTJ
    i'm confused. i used 4x110 bolt pattern on my sons. worked fine. are the 110 &144 that close togeather or could they possably have different patterns
    Oh Crap, it is a 110 bolt pattern, I screwed up in that posting. I used 4x110 2" spacers...

Thanks for bringing that up RTJ!!!!
    Sorry guys.
    2008 Can Am 650XT

Clutch tuning

We rode as a family this past weekend in PA. Swapped with my wife for a while so she could ride my Outlander, gave me a chance to play around on the DS. I actually could wheelie over the rolling bumps in the trails now, before it would just bog. The engine stayed right in the power, even got to show my 7 yr old how to power slide... Now if we can just figure out how to improve the front of this uncomfortable seat???
    2008 Can Am 650XT

Exhuast Vs. clutch tuning

I read your post MBerry, and I was wondering who did your clutch tuning? the Uni filter is that with a stock jet. My dealership told me that they could put a FMF pipe and filter with a jet for a hefty price. Im just looking for somrthing like your CVT clutch tuning. Please let me know if you can help me with this problem.

Thanks, J.W.

Re: Exhuast Vs. clutch tuning

Originally posted by AZ. desertrider
    I read your post MBerry, and I was wondering who did your clutch tuning? the Uni filter is that with a stock jet. My dealership told me that they could put a FMF pipe and filter with a jet for a hefty price. Im just looking for somrthing like your CVT clutch tuning. Please let me know if you can help me with this problem.

Thanks, J.W.
    JW, yeah those mods are pricey and in the end it's still only a 250. They flow more air and fuel but doesn't matter if the engine is not revving and taking advantage of what it already has.

I put the Uni in the stock airbox and didn't touch the factory jetting, it doesn't flow that much more air to require a rejet, just filters WAY better.

The change in clutch weight made a HUGE difference, but it's a custom mod though as there isn't any aftermarket weights available in that size (yet). I ground on mine with a porting tool and used a scale to make all 6 roller weights equal, gradually sneaking up on the final weight after testing numerous times.
    Small bore 4 strokes need to rev to the moon to make power (like a little 1.6L 4 cylinder import car engine compared to a big block V8). This Can Am has a 4 valve head designed to obviously flow more air... But it doesn't take advantage of that with the stock (mild and tame) clutch calibration as it lugs the engine and doesn't rev to make it's potential HP (unless you reach full speed on the road and then it starts to rev out, too late by then).
    PM me and i'll tell you the weight I dialed in to.
    2008 Can Am 650XT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast