Thread: cut airbox lids

cut airbox lids

does anyone have any pics of how you cut your airbox lid? i recently just put a bigger jet in so i can run without my airbox lid but i want to leave the lid on, just cut it. i was thinking of just cutting the rear of the lid out but i have seen covers people have made to help keep mud and water out. so if you all would, just post up a pic of what you all did so i can get some ideas.

also if anyone would have a stock airbox lid that is not cut i would be interested, i will be needing it for when i wash my quad.
    thanks
    08 450r-pro taper bars, houser +.5" a arms, houser swinger, elka long travel triple rate shocks front & rear, elka stabilizer, HRC kit, hipers, hot cam, HMF, jetted, pro armor bumper, nerfs, and some other things.

if you want the protection of cover but still want open air performance use a prefilter lid K+N makes a nice one that works great

I made my own prefilter lid out of the stocker. Got the idea from a guy over on the TRX450R.org site. It's just the stock lid with two holes cut in it and panty hoes over it. I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the holes. Here's a picture.

Cut it like the HRC lid and you can make a splash shield out of anything... An empty beer can would work...

thanks alot guys, them are all good ideas. ill have to see what i can work up.
    08 450r-pro taper bars, houser +.5" a arms, houser swinger, elka long travel triple rate shocks front & rear, elka stabilizer, HRC kit, hipers, hot cam, HMF, jetted, pro armor bumper, nerfs, and some other things.

Look up EHS Racing. I have their lid. It is a stock lid from Honda, but almost completely cut out. They have a prefilter installed over it with a aluminum brackets. Works great. Not 100% waterproof, but works great as long as you arent running through streams. One other thing, I recommend you buy it already done by them. They do sell a kit you can do it yourself, but this takes away your closed lid. I use the closed, original lid for washing machine off. This way no water gets into the box. Jetting is just like no lid at all. Definitely worth the money.
    04 450r
    JE Piston 11:1
    Hotcam Stage 2
    EHS Airbox Lid
    Motoworks Slip On
    Powernow Venturi Kit
    SRP Rev Box
    ITP GNCC Tires
    Pro Armor pegs, Pro XC Bumper and swing arm skidplate
    Tag Bars

2009 Honda CRF 450X
    Stock for now

I got one from outerwhar $25 works but a lil hard to get off should have cut stock lid and sliped over.