Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chain tensioner

chain tensioner

i just finished rebuilding my top end after i have taken it all part to find my chain tensioner was bad. fixed it all up got it running good just to bring it out for a weekend trip to have it brakedown on the end of 2nd day after bring it back home i pulled the tensioner and just as i thoought broken again.

what could cause this to brake like this?

this is my 2nd one in a month to go through so something has to be casuing it maybe something in my lower end but i am not sure

alright you say you have a fresh rebuilt TOP end that mean you did not change your timing chain? The chain could be to loose whipping the tensioner. Second ,were the chain guides put back in ?

I helped him do it and yes the chain was tight and we replaced the guide that you can simply pull out.

Might just be bad luck.
    If you aint wreckin, you aint ridin'

'02 416ex
    11:1 wiseco, Stage 2 cam
    BigGun Full System, K&N, BigGun CDI
    +2 LSR arms (Chrome/PC)
    +2+4 LSR axcaliber w/ LSR Carrier, LSR E-Brake Block off
    LSR Stearing Stem (Chrome)
    Custom Sub Frame w/ 450r grab bar
    Custom Alu. Dia. Plate Airbox w/ Battery relocated
    Blue/Silver Vein PC Frame/Sub Frame/Hubs
    AC Nerfs/Bumper, Alu. skids
    Custom Alu. Dia. Plate A-arm Skids
    Renthal chain/sprockets

well the big resaon i ask is b/c i remember someone saying that there's broke b/c somthing else whent bad in the bottom end and i was hopping to get a idea of what to look for before i take the case off

well from what youve posted it sounds like you DIDNT change the timing chain, and thats more than likely the problem.
    -Tyler-
    -2000 440EX-
    JE, Pro Armor, AC, Pro Taper, ITP, Galfer, HMF, Outerwares, MSR, Motion Pro, TCS, Works Connection, K&N, Lonestar, Houser

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade in what they want most for what they want at the moment.

Originally posted by CJM
    I helped him do it and yes the chain was tight and we replaced the guide that you can simply pull out.
    can you better describe the damage to the tensioner? I have had the same one forever so I dont have a clue

the internal spring on the tensioner keeps brakeing and idk what to do

are you installing it fully extended? Or are you retracting it correctly, installing it, then releasing the spring?

yes i am installing it the right way i keep the plastic hold in install everything else then put it in and pull the plastic out and then chain gets all tight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast