Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chain tensioner

Originally posted by TRX_450
    well from what youve posted it sounds like you DIDNT change the timing chain, and thats more than likely the problem.
    Although I don't always believe a chain replacement is necessary I'd have to agree here. What happens is if your tensioner is almost fully extended in order to keep that chain tight then they will fail faster. That's something you wouldn't automatically know either unless you were measuring for it. The CRF chain is cheap compared to the tensioner, might want to add it to your next order.
    '00 Honda XR400R - The classic
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - The 450 killer - FOR SALE
    '04 Honda Recon - The yard machine
    '05 Honda 500 Foreman 4X4 ES - The plow

Originally posted by TRXRacer1
    Although I don't always believe a chain replacement is necessary I'd have to agree here. What happens is if your tensioner is almost fully extended in order to keep that chain tight then they will fail faster. That's something you wouldn't automatically know either unless you were measuring for it. The CRF chain is cheap compared to the tensioner, might want to add it to your next order.
    yea i also belive u don't have to do it everytime but maybe it is my time to replace it really sucks but is better then blowing 70 dollers on tensioners every 10 hours of ride

and crf is that a honda atv b/c i allways hear about the chain but never seen a quad called crf on the part sites

You are correct. Crf as in 02-08 crf450r dirt bike. The trx450r is too long. Service honda has the chain for 33.96 and the 400ex tensioner for 54.44. Don't forget a right side case gasket.
    '00 Honda XR400R - The classic
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - The 450 killer - FOR SALE
    '04 Honda Recon - The yard machine
    '05 Honda 500 Foreman 4X4 ES - The plow

thanks for the help i wont forget the gaskit but with the axel bearings i need to do this is going to be one expensive order

Just to let you know depending on where the tensioner is actually broke it can be repaired. There's a snap ring I think that holds the end together. Take that off and you can rewined the metal spring inside. It took me a couple of hours before I finely figured it out but it saved me $50 anyways it's worth a shot. Jim
    Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2004 Honda 416ex ported head, Uni Filter no lid and cut snorkel, FMF Power Core slip on,grounded welds, Air Scoops, Spal Fan on switch
    Jetting currently 45 pilot 162 main second clip from the bottom

I tried looking at it from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my a**

Originally posted by Pt's400ex
    Just to let you know depending on where the tensioner is actually broke it can be repaired. There's a snap ring I think that holds the end together. Take that off and you can rewined the metal spring inside. It took me a couple of hours before I finely figured it out but it saved me $50 anyways it's worth a shot. Jim
    Good to know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12