Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lock brakes up or easy in corners?

lock brakes up or easy in corners?

what slows you best on a bike going in a corner, locking the rear brake up or just enough before it locks up?

if you lock them you can slide a little into the corner, which will slow you a little more from the sideways momentum

i think
    2007 LTR 450
    Pro Taper,Powermadd,Motoworks,One Industries,Rath,Blingstar,Maxxis,DWT

2006 KTM 200xc-w

i'm talking about woods riding, not big bank mx corners i guess this question can go for quads too.

On a bike in the woods, I try not to ever lock the brakes, unless I'm playing. On a quad, I only lock the rear brakes when I'm about to miss a turn.

I use my front like 95% of the time and the rear 5%. Like mentioned if I'm coming in hot and I need to slide it around stomp it and pin it to win it or if I am slowing going down a steep incline I use the back brake more to keep weight more distributed. I did a test before rear brake vs front brake vs both used. Using both slowed the quad down fastest but maybe only 7ft shorter than just using the front brake.

im curious as to the different ways people take corners on the mx track and what works best for them lol
    -2008 450r-Full Baldwin/JB/PEP's, and TONS MORE
    -On the hunt for a 250/450 4-stroke bike next!

Track surface has a lot to do with weather or not to lock it up. also it depends on if I’m on the inside or the out side of the corner. If I go inside and need to do a hear pin turn, I’ll slide the rear in the last few feet then when the rear starts to come around then pin it and finish the turn with the throttle. If I go outside and it’s a high bank then I’ll use the front breaks a lot more. This helps if there are breaking bumps going in a corner, by pulling the clutch in and letting the rear coast in while I dig hard on the front breaks, that helps keep the rear from bouncing on the breakers going in.

Deferent techniques for deferent circumstances.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

If you have a bank or a rut use it to your advantage. Sliding through a banked or rutted corner defeats the purpose. Get your braking done and use the lines to keep your speed up. If it's a flat corner a brake slide is almost always needed. A good brake slide works great for squaring up corners too. Remember smoother is faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ63A_8R1wo

http://www.youtube.com/user/KXRida#p/a/u/1/1o-I7Kz3_t0

find yourself a nice little turn track like so as well and run it both ways.
    KX250F

Originally posted by FlewByU352
    I use my front like 95% of the time and the rear 5%. Like mentioned if I'm coming in hot and I need to slide it around stomp it and pin it to win it or if I am slowing going down a steep incline I use the back brake more to keep weight more distributed. I did a test before rear brake vs front brake vs both used. Using both slowed the quad down fastest but maybe only 7ft shorter than just using the front brake.
    if you use your front breaks that much in the woods on a turn with a bike ur gunna be picking yourself up alot.
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

In the woods I use the front brake more and in open sections I'll use the rear.
    Steve George #520

2007 Suzuki LTR 450 XC modded

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast