Thread: rear caliper rebuild help

rear caliper rebuild help

im looking for a rebuild kit for the rear brake caliper. last year it was sticking on me and after my last ride i have no rear brakes so im gonna rebuild it and call it a day. do i need any special o rings for this thing? last year the o ring came out in 2 pieces and i stuck in a similar one that apparently wasnt similar enough so i dont have one to compare it to
    2003 honda 400 ex
    13t/39t
    sparks +6 key
    fmf slip on
    k&n filter
    drilled air box
    jetted

I would prob look into getting the seal kit to start with. then you could disassmble it and clean it all up good inside and use new seals. I didnt see a complete rebuild like the fronts but maybe the front kit would work since the pads and stuff are the same. it is a slightly different caliper but for all intensive purposes it is the same i would think. lol. how ya been anyway uch? steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

thanks steve, where can i get the seals from?

ive been good, i put some new rubber onthe yellow beast, 22 inch maxxis zillas. theyre ***en awsome man. we were doing some hill climbs on the weekend on clay and dirt and they just grabbed. even in mud my buddy was rocking back and forth to get through ditches and id just literally idle through. great all around tire

how you been? still in school?
    2003 honda 400 ex
    13t/39t
    sparks +6 key
    fmf slip on
    k&n filter
    drilled air box
    jetted

Good to hear you are doing good. I bet those zillas are sweet. They are mud ones like my sharks. beastly to have or get behind gotta stay in front or get a roost from them. I am done with school now for the summer all went pretty good there. I have just been chilling the last couple of weeks doing some projects around the house and stuff. I got my arthroscopic all finished up so that is healing now. I found the seals on the bike bandit site but service honda should be able to get them too.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2661sch90575

it is number 2 on the list for the rear. it looks to be almost the same for the front sets also. I still think that there is a rebuild for them but it may only be for the master cylinder on top. I think that comes with the diaphragm and a couple of seals for in back of the lever so that would not work for you. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Glad to hear it man. How long till you're no longer a gibble?

Thanks for the link ill take a look later I'm on my blackberry now dropping a duece. Lol.

The zillas are bad ***. My buddy had some water in his carb and I had to tow him for all of 10 minutes over mostly dry stuff and the front of his quad was still covered in crap from 10 feet back at maybe 15 mph. Lol. So yeah they kick good.
    2003 honda 400 ex
    13t/39t
    sparks +6 key
    fmf slip on
    k&n filter
    drilled air box
    jetted

hopefully the end of the week. lol. it is doing good now but the stitches are pulling so that sucks. if it wasnt for that it would be about 90% good to go. i guess i have to start working next week so hopefully it will be good to go. I have a check up on the 27th so i wont get my stitches out till then i dont think. roosting is a blast when you arent the one getting blasted. lol. i would think that would solve the issues in the back with a good cleaning but i have not personally had any problems with the calipers sticking or leaking. i would disassemble it and clean it all up good too. lol. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

It gave me problems last year. I change the pads in the back and the caliper wouldn't retract. So I pulled it apart cleaned it put it together bled it and it seemed fine. Rode it for 20 min and the pads were almost gone. So I cleaned it again and then it wouldn't bleed. It started leaking so that small o ring in the back turns out was brojken so I think I put in one from an old fuel injector I had and it seemed fine but now I have absolutly no rear brakes and its been a year. Lol. **** I dunno I don't even wanna get into it anymore. Lol. Hey you know anyone that would be interested in buying my predator? Making some room so its going. 4800 or best offer.

Btw you're gonna have to get some buddies together and ride down here one day for some local twisties or trailer it or something. Still got the f4?
    2003 honda 400 ex
    13t/39t
    sparks +6 key
    fmf slip on
    k&n filter
    drilled air box
    jetted

I still have the f4, it still runs great. I dont get a chance to ride it too often but it is fun to ride every now and again when the chance comes. It is like everything else, just not enough time to ride everything to the extent i want to. I just took it out of the sig so it would not get too long. now i just have a picture of all 4 of the toys together for the first time lol. I just got the rev over the winter so that was fun to bomb around the UP with. It was either a new sled or a 450r and i found a great deal on the sled that i have always wanted and there was snow so there it is. we just may have to come over some time and do some riding some of the roads you have sound like a blast to rip up. It has been quite a while since i have ridden anything hard enough to get tired out a bit.

you may be better off to just get a whole used caliper that works fine and bleed it. at the moment i dont know of anyone looking for a pred but ill keep my ears and eyes open for you. lol. for the right price the hundy could probably move though. lol. i am looking for a small project to do over the summer. sounds like the hundy would be a good one. lol. I dont have any real kind of ching anymore after i just got all of my parts for the sleds and my hundy. have you even been riding the fourwheelers or just been messing with the bike? steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER