Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: old race bike (desertsled )

thanks for the kind comments,andyand thanks to every to everyone who responded .

I bet it was nice having the swingarm pivot in line with the countershaft. How did that particulare setup work? Were the rod ends strong enough to handle large impacts? Did they wear quickly? Thank you for posting pictures of this unique machine; I agree with the others that a rebuild as-is would be great. You should build another with the bike engine...
    08 450R

the wear on therod ends for the swing arm was not that bad replaced them about ever 1 1/2 years riding ever weekend the failers i had on the rod ends were from the jam nut hiting the frame when in full droop. once i clearanced that they never broke again. the jam nut resting against the frame would have been an easy 100 to 1 ratio of leverage. one of the main reasons for locating the pivot there was because u cant get that much travel in the stock location without the chain cutting into the swingarm . the chain stayed the same tightness thru out the travel and the the throttle position didnt have much effect on the suspension

I was just thinking about this bike on the way home... any updates on the resto project?
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)
    89 TRX 250R - Fully Restored Original

Wow this thing is wild, i would think scary being that high but probably better than looks.

I would say keep it pretty original but throw on some more modern parts to update it if your gunna ride it, im sure the tech has come along ways, and some major improvments could be done, like shocks, etc.

my $.02

Originally posted by troybilt
    I was just thinking about this bike on the way home... any updates on the resto project?
    x2 on the updates
    04 Honda 450 full built TT race machine
    05 honda 450 full lt mx built bike
    07 crf 50 full mod
    04 klx 110 stock mod....more mod then stock

that travel makes me drool... I have stock travel on all my bikes and something like that would have me breezing thru the ruff stuff I find when trail riding on some of the lava rock stuff I go thru lol
    92 LT250r

07 LTR 450

kasea 90 in a trx250r frame, includes full front from hubs/disc to arms ect, works 250r shocks, kasea swinger/backhalf elka rear shock durablue axle...

Originally posted by troybilt
    no troy, i havnt done anything but cleaning a lot of rust off of it .im using the money from old parts that i have sold but havent recieved the money yet. i will definitly update when i get going.besides its to hot here in vegas to work on anything u dont have to.i have become a wus in my old age. i use to ride every week end no mater what the weather

Originally posted by imprezkid
    Wow this thing is wild, i would think scary being that high but probably better than looks.

I would say keep it pretty original but throw on some more modern parts to update it if your gunna ride it, im sure the tech has come along ways, and some major improvments could be done, like shocks, etc.

my $.02
    the tech hasnt changed to much.this thing was way ahead of its time. but it is built for the desert and would not even come close to being competive in mx. as far as the ride hieght goes when sitting on it u use at least 50 percent of the travel,so it isnt so high,but u definitly have to learn to ride it,lots of body roll

Originally posted by fearlessfred
    no troy, i havnt done anything but cleaning a lot of rust off of it .im using the money from old parts that i have sold but havent recieved the money yet. i will definitly update when i get going.besides its to hot here in vegas to work on anything u dont have to.i have become a wus in my old age. i use to ride every week end no mater what the weather
    If you need to, you can drop it off at my house and I will work on it for you, don't be surprised though when I don't give it back! haha

I agree on the heat thing to, I hate working out in the garage during the summer here in Vegas. Much nicer to stay in the air conditioned house!

Doug
    2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
    (BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2013 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Dirttricks.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
    2005 TRX450R
    1986 TRX250R

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast