Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEP to Fox

PEP to Fox

Alright so I'm looking into selling my older PEP shocks for a set of Fox Podium shocks. No these are not off the Polaris ATV's, they're actually custom rebuilt off a FMX snowmobile and were on Tim Shelmans Honda. My buddy bought them from him and now is selling them for $300 because he got the brand new PEP shocks for his quad. They're long travel and look pretty good to me.

Now here's my issue. Currently my PEP shocks are about 17 inches eye-to-eye and these are 18 & 3/4. I was curious if they would fit or not. My motivation is that I found someone who'd buy my PEP's for $600 and I could buy these for $300, meaning I'd make $300 and get newer, nicer shocks. What do you guys think?
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

1-3/4" sounds like an awful lot to me. Really gonna push those arms down if you can even get them in.
    1999 400ex -- Sunday driver ----****SOLD****
    Wiseco 426. 11 :1, Hotcam Stage 2, Curtis Sparks X-6 full exhaust, Houser 450r Probounce nerfs. (black silvervein) Holeshot GNCC's on T-9 Itp baja, Maier carbon fiber plastics, Houser antivibe stem with Renthals/ODI Rouges, Lonestar doublerow carrier, 170 main no lid -- 50/50 turbo blue and 93. '07 450R shocks

2005 450R -- The Sleeper --
    Bumped up compression, stage 2 hotcam,hotrods bottom, Dasa full system, uni filter and jetted, stainless brake lines, rath nerfs and heels, quadtech hood, Fluidyne radiator, ported and polished, houser grabbar, Hinson'd out.

Yeah that was my concern with them.

On that note are there any other shocks out there that would be worth switching to? I know I sound crazy but I could use the extra $$$ and my PEP's are 12 years old going on 13. I'd honestly still like to look into Yfz450r shocks or something along those lines, even if it takes a bit of work to get them in.

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Depends what you want man. I went from original 1999 pogosticks to '07 450r stockers. took the preload all the way out and set reb.comp in the middle and slapped em on. It was night and day to me. Took all the body roll out of it and "floats" a little easier now. Would i hit a 70 foot double on them? Nope, lol. Huge upgrade for the way i ride the old girl now for 300 bucks.
    Wiseco 426. 11 :1, Hotcam Stage 2, Curtis Sparks X-6 full exhaust, Houser 450r Probounce nerfs. (black silvervein) Holeshot GNCC's on T-9 Itp baja, Maier carbon fiber plastics, Houser antivibe stem with Renthals/ODI Rouges, Lonestar doublerow carrier, 170 main no lid -- 50/50 turbo blue and 93. '07 450R shocks

Bumped up compression, stage 2 hotcam,hotrods bottom, Dasa full system, uni filter and jetted, stainless brake lines, rath nerfs and heels, quadtech hood, Fluidyne radiator, ported and polished, houser grabbar, Hinson'd out.

Well I have to have long travel shocks because of the LSR front end and what not. I hit fairly large jumps and do motocross. They don't need to be anything special, just stiff, adjustable and able to soak up the rough stuff without bottoming on the big jumps. Sand tracks -__________-

RIP 400ex

If you've gotten 13 years out of your long travel peps and like em, maybe worth having them rebuilt then. You like them and they haven't broken, and you know how to tune them i'm sure. Maybe just have em freshened up since your not looking for anything crazy like elka stage 5's, etc. etc...

Well that's the thing, I've only had the quad a year but they've been on the quad since 2000. They're nice but they're definitely not sprung right for me and I am completely stumped by the ZPS tuning still. I could get them rebuilt but idk if it's worth it. Finding a builder for ZPS shocks is hard enough!

RIP 400ex

Id say that might be a tad long. Might wanna contact LSR and ask what the max length you can run is.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

You "could" move the mounts outward on the arms if you wanted to. I'd think a shock that much longer is gonna be at a pretty extreme angle, i'm getting visuals of a hard landing and a bent cylinder up front. would need realighned and some caster/camber adjustments. I have access to a brandnew miller dual-voltage welder and pretty good with a mig gun but i'd be terrified to start welding arms up. That thing knocks off and a shock harpoons the ground and your goin for a ride.

I just looked at your picture in the " post mx 400 pics!!!" thread, and you have standard travel +2 arms. The 17" shocks are probably a little long, even. PEP ZPS shocks are typically a little long. You'd be looking at some stock length aftermarket shocks or stock 450R fronts, rebuilt for your arms. 18.75" is definately too long for your setup. I hope this helps.

Dustin
    08 450R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast