Thread: predator no start

predator no start

have an 06 TLD that stalled on a trail ride this past fall and refused to start for no reason.

Just took it apart this weekend and found it has spark, fuel and compression but still wont start. Wont even try to start w/ a shot of starting fluid ~ every once in while it will produce a massive backfire. Any ideas....

Thanks!
    06 TLD Predator 500 - lots of mods
    03 Predator 500 - stock
    04 Blaster - bored over
    08 DRR 90 - mostly stock
    07 Polaris Sportsman 90 - stock
    01 Suzuki LT80 - stock
    04 China Quad 50cc
    06 TTR90 - stock
    Thanks to SMS for keeping us running!!

whats your timing looking like? Having spark is good but having spark at the right time is better? stock cdi?
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

thanks Katch - yeah that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I was thinking timing or valves hosed up. I did just get the bike back from the shop from being tuned up. In the process of tune up, they had to replace the one-way and had to remove my dyna programmable ignition that wasn't working and restored the stock cdi. Not sure if the timing slipped or what - is that pretty easy to check? What else could it be?
    03 Predator 500 - stock
    04 Blaster - bored over
    08 DRR 90 - mostly stock
    01 Suzuki LT80 - stock
    04 China Quad 50cc
    06 TTR90 - stock

Whenever mine backfired it was always a timing issue...

the intake valves can tighten making it hard(ER)to start but ether will start just about anything. Mine went through the same spell awhile ago and it all came down to the flywheel nut not being tightened enough and the little bit of slop was sheering woodruff keys left and right. The owners manual give some pretty wide windows for alot of the stuff on this bike, for instance that nut should be between (111-125 ft/lb) and I sheered keys on anything less than the full 125. JME.

Id start there cause that something that you know thats been messed with recently. On the left side cover theres 2 plastic covers...one it to manually turn the motor over the other is a viewport. Put the motor on T and turn the starter and see if the T moves, if not the starter is spinning the starter gear around the flywheel and not turning the crank over.

it could be as simple as a battery but try the other thing first.
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

i followed you up till the very end of your post - you said hit the starter and see if the T moves. The bike does crank over - Ive watched the piston move w/ the plug out - its definitely cranking the motor and I'm getting spark - so the flywheel is moving too. Am I missing what your saying??

I'm thinking possibly the flywheel sheared the key and rotated slightly?? that would cause the timing to be off - correct?

Thanks!
    03 Predator 500 - stock
    04 Blaster - bored over
    08 DRR 90 - mostly stock
    01 Suzuki LT80 - stock
    04 China Quad 50cc
    06 TTR90 - stock

yeah watching the t was just to make sure it was still lined up with the crank moving the piston. Just to be clear there's 2 different timings. Right now we're talking ignition timing making sure the flywheel is lined up to to provide spark at the correct time.. The other is cam timing to make sure cam are opening and closing at the appropriate to correspond with piston action.

sorry I got off topic. Yes it is spossible to sheer the key and have the flywheel rotate slightly but without the key there's really nothing keeping it there. If the nut was loose its only going to get more loose which will ease up on the pressure fitting. Also those one ways are pretty tempermental if they are installed incorrectly it'll **** can its operation and lock it in.

just tore it apart today and sure enough, the woodruff key was sheared clean off. does anyone make a better (aftermarket) key or should I stick w/ the stock polaris one?

Thanks!
    03 Predator 500 - stock
    04 Blaster - bored over
    08 DRR 90 - mostly stock
    01 Suzuki LT80 - stock
    04 China Quad 50cc
    06 TTR90 - stock