Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is my oil grey looking?

Also, if you do pull of your right side to check your clutches, there is a small screen on the bottom of the motor. A screw holds it in. Pull it and check to make sure there aren't any metal shaving on it.

so if i take the right side cover off, ill automatically have to put a new gasket on? should i run it how it is until i need to change the oil again to do this? and what could be wrong with the carb?

If you take the cover off, I would definately put on a new gasket. If not your asking for leaks. As for the carb. Maybe the float stuck, just dumping in too much fuel. Like I said, shot in the dark, but cheap to check out. Maybe checking your jetting too, make sure everything is correct. I don't know if that could be the problem or not, but its easy to check. As for running it......I would want to know what it is. If it is thinning your oil, don't know if you could scare up the cylinder or not....

also, I don't ever run the synthetic. Are you sure that the color change isn't a characteristic of that type of oil.....

yeah man thanks for the help! appreciate it. guess a trip to the dealer for a gasket? i think im goign to run it with this fresh oil in it now and just keep an eye on it, pull the dipstick out often and see what its looking like. but the first tiem i changed it it wasnt too good looking and the filter was kind of nasty, then when i ran it for a day and changed it again it wasnt as bad, so i will watch it with this oil in it now. if it gets nasty looking again this time around i will drain and pull off the cover

the first tiem i changed it, i put in regular motorcycle 10w40, then now it has the semi synthetic.

dont take ur clutch cover off thats the stupidest way iv ever heard to check your clutch adjust ur cluth as told in the manual or give the end lever about a 1/2in of play befor the cable starts to get tight .
    2001 300EX
    FMF Powercore4 Full
    (no spark arestor)
    20x11x9 Holeshot HD's
    Uni Filter (no lid)
    ProTaper bars
    14t front

so the lever on the bars should have 1/2inch of travel before it starts to engage? and the adjustment is on the right side correct?

would my oil being grey be a cause of my clutch about to go? i just checked and i have freeplay. i left my quad in gear, pushed against it while slowly pulling in the clutch lever until it started to roll, when it did roll theree was still resistance in me pushign the quad. is that normal?

Yeah the resistance even with clutch pulled in is normal, esp when its cold, sometimes u might not even be able to push the bike.

On 450r's the silver/grey oil from the clutch is normal. I would think on a 400ex if u slip the clutch a lot it would be no different, but it shouldn't be extreme.

Also possible that the clutch springs are shot.
    05 450r
    Motowoz LT F&R / SMC +3 / Elka Pro Dual Link / RPM / Flexx / Rath / Douglas
    DRG Head / Ferrea +1x4 / CP 12:1 / 05 HRC Cam / HR +3 Balanced&Welded / DRG 43.5 FCR / DASA Classic

sounds like it has had water in the engine to me
    hotcam stage 1
    unifilter
    Dr.D slip on
    450r shocks
    full skid plates all around
    msr 400ex bend handle bars
    omf scoops
    jetted carb
    maxis razrs all around

wanted: ims roll foot pegs
    ims roll heel guards
    more time to ride!!!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    SOLD SOLD

Now a proud owner of a 700XX

what do you guys recommend doing? and i thought abotu water in there but dont know how it would have got in

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast