Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is my oil grey looking?

Hybrid View

Why is my oil grey looking?

whatsup everybody. when i first bought my 400 couple months ago, the oil on the dipstick looked good. so i rode it a little bit and decided to change it for the hell of it. When i drained it, the oil was a greyish-cream looking color and didnt feel liek normal oil should. so i put fresh oil in and a new filter, rode it for a couple hours, and what do you know its grey again! i washed it before i checked the oil, and had the quad stood up, is there a possibility water got in somehow, even though it shouldnt? so i changed it again put havent really riden it since so i do not know the results yet, unless it has somethign to do with washing it, which i doubt. no metal particles or anything, quad runs smooth as can be. Oil in it is lucas semi synthetic 10w40, 2 quarts. any help would be great, its really aggrevating me

Is the oil u use specifically for 4 strokes with wet clutches or is it a car oil?

yes its motorcycle oil for wet clutches. that is what i need right?

most likely its clutch material turning it grey
    06 480er
    13.1 je
    hrc/hmf
    hc3
    re port/polish
    re 42.5 fcr

is this normal or what?

that ain't normal, but I don't know what the problem could be.

crap, thats not good then. i mean it runs smooth and shifts good

was it brand new and im asuming its a z400. ur clutch could be out of adjustment causing it to wear to away the seperator plates causing the grayish color or if it was brand new off the lot and the break in process is causing it change ur oil again and put cheeap cheap oil in it run it for a few minutes (no need to ride it but u can just not to hard then drain ur oil while its still alil warm then refill with fress good oil and a new oil filter and see wht happens
    2001 300EX
    FMF Powercore4 Full
    (no spark arestor)
    20x11x9 Holeshot HD's
    Uni Filter (no lid)
    ProTaper bars
    14t front

its a 2002 400ex, i got it used. i changed it once rode it for a coupel hours and it was grey again, changed it since then but havent really rode it. how would i know if the clutch isnt adjusted right?

I've got an 02' 400ex as wheel, and I've never had it look grey. Next time you drain the oil take off the right side and check the clutch. The disks just slide in and out. It will cost you another $15 to 20 gasket, but at least that will tell you whether or not its your clucth. It's air cooled, so there isn't water getting into it. You mentioned you washed it, but if water got into it that easily, oil would be coming out everywhere when you ran it. What about gas getting into it? Maybe check out your carb! Shot in the dark, but it's easy to check out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast