Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to get the carb. out???? 400ex

Question how to get the carb. out???? 400ex

I'm trying to get my carb out of my 07 400ex, so far there is no straight answer on how to do it, i'm in the process of rejtting it but 1st of all i need to know how to get the carb out!!!!! please someone give me a straight forward answer
    07 TRX400ex
    full HMF Ballance series exhaust, twin air filter, 155 main jet, no air lid.

you will want to take the fenders off, then take the air box out by undoing the clamps. the tank should come off, then just unscrew the front clamp to get it loose. to get it off the machine, take the black over off on the right side and move the arm to get the cable off of it. unscrew the cable out of the carb by spinning the carb around then you can do what you need with the bowl off or by taking the bottom nut and cover off for the main jet if that is all you need. to get to the pilot the bowl has to come off then it is in a cylinder looking part on one side of the floats. to get the needle you have to take the top triangular part off and the two brass screws come out lifting the arm off of it. then the slider comes out and the needle is inside it. once jetted put it all back together, it shouldnt take more than an hour to get it all done. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Talking thanks!

thanks a ton! that answers my question perfectly, i'm gonna do it all tomorrow, im doing a stage 2 by taking the air lid off. what other mods would you suggest for more power? preferably on the cheap side
    07 TRX400ex

other than a filter to go with opening up the lid that is about it. a coil would maybe help alittle bit along with a sparks racing timing advance key would be a couple of options for cheaper power. other than that a stage 1 hotcam would probably go nicely with the full exhaust. the cam is about 180. the coil is about 70 i think and the key is about 40 bucks total for it. that is probably the biggest bang for the buck power upgrade besides a cam. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

also make sure you get the jetting dialed for the best performance. just doing the stage 2 recommendations may not be the best for the best performace. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

you should be right around a 148 dj main with all of that. that is with a filter might i add. what are you at now with the full exhaust, a 142 or so? I used to use djs before i did my 416. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Sweet. What is a hot cam? and the coil? i understand how to do all the jetting, thats easy but getting to the carb is the hard part. I'm running a 142 dj right now Lance
    07 TRX400ex

with a filter and an open air box you will be right around a 148-150 dj then, with about 3 turns out on the fuel/air screw, and the 3rd clip position on the needle. this is most likely wherre you are at now with just a 142 in it for the full exhaust without a filter according to the directions. a hot cam is a high performance cam for the 400. there are 3 stages ranging in different grinds and such for longer durations and things like that. stage 1 is a mild cam and it goes up from there. a coil controls the spark to the plug. the one i am referring to is called a monster coil made by amr. look both of them up on ebay and you will be able to see what they look like. steve
    coil

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMR-M...Q5fAccessories

hotcam good deal too
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...item3ef87874c7
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

yeah cuz i was a lil confused because the directions for the jets said put the 170 dj in and that didn't seem right. oh i have a twin air filter, i just don't have it in my signature. what does the cam do though? and it goes on the axle right? how would the coil help with power? Lance
    07 TRX400ex

the hotcams control your valves to make them open further and longer to let it get more gases in and out. the coil makes your sparks better since it delivers more energy to the spark plug for every fire of the plug. this helps to create a better burn inside the cylinder. this would be a bolt on pretty much, you just have to take the stock one off with the spark plug wire, then put the amr coil on with the wire. the cam requires taking the head cover off, and replacing the cam. then adjusting the valves and such, after it is broke in you have to do the valves again to make sure they are in spec still. i would go with a 150 for now and see how the plug looks. you should keep the needle on the 3rd position, the pilot at a 38, and the f/a screw at 2 turns out and see how it runs. get it warmed up first. then change the plug. take it for a ride for about 15 minutes at different throttle positions. then take the plug out and see how it looks. if it is white then you need to go to up, black go down, brown you are good to go. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast