Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shortening the silencer

shortening the silencer

what does shortening the silencer do to the bike and how do you do it. I have a pro circuit T4.
    "sugar in the bowl, coffee in your cup, poke her in the butt you won't knock her up!!"

It will give you more lowend power and increase the sound by 30% probably.... I used a hacksaw on mine.. Here's a pic of mine cut. I planned on cuttin off about 3 to 4 inches but when it was said and done I trimmed off 6 inches...which was more than i wanted but it's too late now..
    Attached Images Attached Images

which end do you cut off (pipe side) and what do i do about the screws do i have to tap some new threads
    "sugar in the bowl, coffee in your cup, poke her in the butt you won't knock her up!!"

the cut the exit side, not where it meets the header, and you have to drill new holes for the rivets, not mods ahould be made to the endcap, but you will have to shorten the screen
    when in doudt, GAS IT!

what are the downsides of shortening it? Except for being louder. will it make it run cooler

here is my e-series I shortend it by 4 or 5" I dont' remember that's luvmyex's quad he owns the pipe now now but i really didn't notice much more of a low-end gain if any it was very little it did increase the sound quite a bit but the main reason i did it was cause the dang thing stuck out beyond the grab bar and no it won't run any cooler as for downsides there really arn't any besides it's louder

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachme...&postid=395969
    Last edited by UglyMotha™; 01-24-2003 at 05:40 AM.

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

I geuss Rico covered pretty much everything I was gonna say. I also Shortened my Bills. Mine is about an 1 inch or 2 longer than Ricos. I used a hack saw on the exit side of the pipe. Then re drilled the holes and stuck the bolts back in. The sound increase was pretty big and the low end power was great. The top end didn't suffer liek I thought it would tho. The bottom end turned out great. You also have to cut the insert screen that follows through the hole pipe. I also removed my screen spark arrester. I really could care less weather sparks are flying out my pipe. Even tho the spark arrester doesn't stop much flow it does stop some. Every little bit counts.

So if i were to cut my silencer, i wouldnt cut the header side i would cut the end cap side. to do do this i have to drill out the rivets, cut it down, drill holes, and then rivet it back it???. I only have my stock pipe and the white bros. i think i am going to do this when I get my LRD. Also Rico, what kind of silencer is that ? If it wouldnt be too much trouble to ask, could somebody kinda do a step my step instruction. Maybe this should go into reviews?? It would be kinda helpful for people who want to do it.

Also, whats up with the screen thing ??
    Thanks a ton

Craig
    If you dont ride an R, Why Bother Riding at All?

SS265R
    LRD LSR JB ELKA X-FACTOR TAG RAD SUNSTAR FIBE

I want to give a BIG thank you to Quadpro for all their help in helping me get my R rolling

1988 Toyota 4Runner, 5spd w/ 33x12.5's
    1989 Chevy s10 w/ v8 Conversion, slammed and all the goodies.

I want to know how to do this too.... I just need to know what to cut it with...(Hack Saw)??? And what did you do about the screw holes for the bolts for the end cap? Thanks
    ----------------**********----------------
    2002 416ex

if you wanna short pipe, just sell what you have and get a TC Racing pipe, it's a 4 inch supertrapp.
    **Red 00 Honda 400EX w/ Pro Circuit T-4 Slip-on w/modded stock headers, K&N filter w/outerwear, no choke, custom airbox lid, Stage 2 Dynojet 165MJ, and 42PJ, Maxxis Razr's on stock rims(fronts flipped), Herrmann Racing Bearing Carrier, polished air scoops, Renthal Bars, DID chain, Shockwears, black Ceet gripper seat cover, Moose CR clutch perch and lever, R&R Motorsports parking brake block off, DG swingarm skidpalate, homemade diamond-plate aluminum chassis skidplate, AC Nerf Bars, Nacs peg extenders, cut fenders. *Coming soon... a set of Holeshot 20x11x9 XCR's, and maybe an MSR Raptor clutch perch, and maybe a TrailTech speedometer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast