Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shortening the silencer

i like my WB... I just thought it would be differnt and the whole thing about the grab bar... Iv gotten turf in my pipe many a times lol.
    ----------------**********----------------
    2002 416ex

i wish my T-4 was about 2 inches shorter but i'm not gonna try to cut it and end up ruining it. and it really doesn't need to be any louder either.
    **Red 00 Honda 400EX w/ Pro Circuit T-4 Slip-on w/modded stock headers, K&N filter w/outerwear, no choke, custom airbox lid, Stage 2 Dynojet 165MJ, and 42PJ, Maxxis Razr's on stock rims(fronts flipped), Herrmann Racing Bearing Carrier, polished air scoops, Renthal Bars, DID chain, Shockwears, black Ceet gripper seat cover, Moose CR clutch perch and lever, R&R Motorsports parking brake block off, DG swingarm skidpalate, homemade diamond-plate aluminum chassis skidplate, AC Nerf Bars, Nacs peg extenders, cut fenders. *Coming soon... a set of Holeshot 20x11x9 XCR's, and maybe an MSR Raptor clutch perch, and maybe a TrailTech speedometer.

Someone should post all the steps in detail though for others to see... maybe ill get board one day and cut it up.
    ----------------**********----------------
    2002 416ex

Ill give you the steps for doing this. I did it on my WB R-4 pipe.
    1. Remove silencer from bike.
    2. Check to see if your end cap is screwed on or riveted on. In my case they were rivets.
    3. Either drill rivets out or unscrew end cap.
    4. Carefully pull silencer core out of muffler.
    5. Unwrap any material that is left on silencer core.
    6. Determine on the muffler how much you want to remove. I chose 4.5" on the R-4.
    7. I used a cut off saw. But you may use a hack saw if thats all you have. Be sure to maintain a nice flat end. Easiest way of obtaining this is take a rubber band and place it where you are gonna make your cut. Then with a tape measure be sure to have the rubber band at the same measurement at 4 places around tube.
    8. Then take marker and follow around rubber band. This will ensure a nice flat edge.
    9. Take a round file and take off the burred edges being extremely careful not to cut yourself.
    10. Now take silencer core and place inside of muffler tube.
    11. Determine how much you need by placing it all together on a bench and for the most part eye up and mark where you should cut the silencer core to fit.
    12. Most cores are spot welded on the core tube. Using a file or cut off wheel cut the welds holding it together. Be sure not to damage the end as it will be needed to mate the core and muffler later.
    13. To cut the core tube your best bet is to use a cut off wheel. Unless you have very steady hands for the hacksaw. You do not want to crush the core tube screen.
    14. Place core tube on end you cut off in step12.
    15. Place silencer core in muffler to check for proper fit. Trim off more if necessary to get a good fit.
    16. Once you have the fit you are looking for pop rivet teh end back on the silencer core tube.
    17. Recheck fit to ensure no mistakes were made.
    18. Now use new muffler wrap to insulate silencer tube. I like the thicker tighter material. Usually a little more expensive but I think it works the best. Be sure to wrap silncer tube tight and make it about a 1/3rd larger than the muffler opening.
    19. Place silencer core and tube back in muffler. Be sure to get all material in the muffler as it may burn if let out while riding. I dont have to remind you what part of your body will burn first if it ignites......
    20. Place end cap onto muffler and be sure to have the tip of silencer aimed at the ground or slightly to the outer part of quad.
    21. Carefully drill holes through both being sure not too put to much pressure as you may dent the silencer.
    22. Pop rivet holes one at a time. Meaning drill a hole and then pop rivet that hole. That way you dont risk making the holes crooked.
    23. Replace silencer on headpipe and check for fit.
    24. There might be a good possibility you may have to rejet. So be sure to check plug and mood of bike before you go nuts with it.
    25. Go for a nice ride in the knowledge that you did it on your own and might of helped tick off your neighbors with the little bit of noise it created.

Good luck. Mo
    DIRT is a fun four letter word.

I am retired from ATV Racing!!!!

some of you guys need to read ALL the posts before posting, each step has been covered like 3 times and yet you still ask.

just take some time and read the post a few times if your confused.
    when in doudt, GAS IT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12