Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how to get the carb. out???? 400ex

thanks a bunch! all this help is really appreciated. oh i see how it all works. i'll probably get on those as soon as i earn some $. Another question i have is, while taking the carb out and rejetting, can i really hurt anything? ive been real cautious with this because it's a new bike and i don't wanna hurt it already and have to take it to the shop for atleast a weeks worth repair. Also, if a get a wider axle, i should get wider a-arms also? Lance
    07 TRX400ex
    full HMF Ballance series exhaust, twin air filter, 155 main jet, no air lid.

no prob on the help. unless you jet it too lean it will be ok. it is pretty hard to mess anything up when just doing jetting. just make sure you get it right before you go take it for an hour or two ride. this could cause it to over heat or burn a hole in the piston if it is too lean. with the wider axle, it is a nice combo to get arms and such too at the same time to really feel the most stability increase but alot of guys run with just a wider axle too until they get some money for shocks and arms. I run spacers when i am just trail riding every now and again if i know i will be riding stuff that requires more stability and never have problem. I will probably be getting a new axle and such this summer for mine but for the time being it is stock width. If you have the money i would suggest getting a wider axle first then arms and shocks later if need be. lol. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

sweet, cuz i was really worried about hurting something. oh i gotcha, ill get the axle then the arms when i get some $. Ive had problems with rolling it so far because of the stock width. when i take the gas tank off, what should i do to disconnect it from the switch to turn the fuel on off or reserve? i didn't wanna get gas everywhere in the garage so i didnt touch it Lance
    07 TRX400ex

few more q's

I also have a few more questions: with only the air lid off i should just bump the dj up 1 from the 142? and how do i remove the spark plug? i know where its at and all but idk how to remove it.
    07 TRX400ex

i would say that if you take the lid off i would start with a 150 and see how it is there. usually i would go up two jet sizes with the lid off but it is better to start a bit rich. just put the essential parts back on to test ride it before you finalize your jetting. you may end up at a 148 or 146 but i am not sure where you are at so at sea level you may want to go to a 150, at about 1500 ft you could try a 148 dj if you have one in the kit. also on the spark plug, you should have a tool in your kit that you can get it out with. you just have to stick it up in there and get it on the plug. get it from the left side of the machine so the exhaust is not in the way. take the bar that is in the kit also and use it in the 2 holes to turn the plug out. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

im above 5000 ft. ya so i dont kill the cylinder. i dont have the tool tho
    07 TRX400ex

i know there is a certain socket that you can use but i am not sure which size it is. if you search for spark plug tool or something in the 400 section you should find it. I know there was a question a few weeks ago on that subject. some of the sockets need to be ground down a bit on the sides to get it to fit in there. the tool is handy since it is made to go in the hole for it. lol steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

i meant im at 1500 ft ha bad typo, i got everything out, now im confused on my jetting ha cuz i thought the jets i got in the fmf pack were main jets but the theres only these smaller jets that idk where they go cuz they deff. arnt fuel mixture screws so they have 2 be poilets. im just confused now lol
    07 TRX400ex

there will not be any f/a screws. there is no such thing. lol. if they are long and have holes in a shaft hanging out of them they are pilot jets. if not they are mains. there may be an adaptor in the kit that you ahve to use. otherwise if there is a number on them cross reference them with your direction sheet. they will tell you what they are. i doubt that there is any pilots in the kit so you will have a needle, adaptor that is threaded outside on one end, and threaded inside on the other. that should b inside there already, the round jets just screw into the adaptor.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q107.pdf

that is the dyno jet kit stuff incase you dont have your directions. This one shows all of the different parts that came in the kit. the pick should be the one that you have and where each of them are located. the fmf if i am not mistaken is a dj in different packaging so it should be the same stuff. the new kit has a f/a screw adjuster in it but the old ones dont. the new carbs on the 05+ carbs. the older ones are on the front of the carb on the bottom by the bowl in a cylinder. it is outside the carb. steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Re: thanks!

Originally posted by trx400ex07rider
    thanks a ton! that answers my question perfectly, i'm gonna do it all tomorrow, im doing a stage 2 by taking the air lid off. what other mods would you suggest for more power? preferably on the cheap side
    do the choke mod and adjust the slack out of the throttle cable to get full throttle.......

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast