Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting problem on 450sx need help

starting problem on 450sx need help

i just purchased a 2009 450sx from arizona i live in ohio

they had to unplug wires and drain all fluids to ship it and it seems to have everything hooked up correctly now its getting spark and fuel kill switch is hooked in run switch is in on position and key is on

when i hit the start button nothing happens so i tried hitting both terminals on the solenoid to see if it would turn over at all and it does but wont start i tested polarity of all wires and they come back ok im not sure if i have a main ground problem or what

it also has a aftermarket mapping switch ran into it for higher rpms and headlight unplugged and the guy i got it from also made a closed circuit for the nuetral safety switch

looking for any ideas on where to go from there or where i can get a wiring diagram for the quad to know exactly what im looking at.

im thinking of taking off the stock start button with light switch and engine stop/run switch and running it direct for starting only dont need the lights and stuff

please help im stumped

Did you pull the clutch in ? I know when I got my ktm it had been forever since I had a bike with a netural safty switch and it took me a min to realize what I was doing. prob not the case but I though I would ask

he said switch has been wired to a close circuit.....check your main fuse

yes clutch was pulled in every time tried in gear and nuetral and checked all fuses and they were all good i replaced with all new just to make sure and still no starting

have you taken the solenoid off and bench checked it for continuity??

i used a jumper cable and attached both posts together to get it to turn over and it turned over fine but it acts like there is a ground issue not letting it start, that being said i will test it for continuity in the morning, but dont you think it would still start by jumping it like that because it just turns over im puzzled but ill check it and get back with ya

check all your grounds...check spark plug cap.... check coil ground especially.
    2 09 YFZ450R/X
    2010 YFZ450X BBSE
    http://www.racer-results.net/results...cer.asp?n=1497
    http://escoremx.com/results/atvamx/2...cer.asp?n=5131
    2011 GNCC/EXTREME sponsors:
    GT THUNDER. BNR. HMF. RATH. CYCRA. TROY LEE DESIGNS. SCOTT. FASST. HIPER. PRECISION.

Not being a smart a** is it getting fuel?
    Me- retired from riding, racing and miss it every day; oldest sons- 2005 450R, race ready and a lot of extras; Youngest son- sold his, he is in the US Army Infantry.

Call mark Baldwin at Baldwin Motorsports. He works on the KTM's all the time.
    2009 KTM 505
    Best quad I have ever owed

all grounds look good and yes its getting gas ill see what other advice i can get before i take it to mark dont wanna drive 2 hrs if i dont have to right away it has to be something stupid and simple but im just not seeing it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast