Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions on '09 outlaw vs honda 700xx

opinions on '09 outlaw vs honda 700xx

I am shopping for a new irs... split between the Honda 700xx and the '09 525 irs.

Price is huge for me right now. I wish I liked the look of the '08 outlaws (as others have posted Bentley's has them for $3999). But I dont.

Any idea on what a good buy is on an '09 525 irs? From what I have seen they are going for about 7k. Way too rich for my blood.

I can get a 700xx out the door for $4700 at local dealer. So question is should I stick it out and wait on an '09 Outlaw or go with a 700xx? Hopefully prices will drop on the outlaws. For trail riding which one is the best.

Thanks!

the honda weighs ALOT more and it has tons of body roll and pushes bad in corners, the outlaw runs circles around it....not to mention the honda is just flat out fugly!!!

Sounds like you're in the same boat I am, choosing between the 700xx and Outlaw.

The Honda has fuel injection and Honda's reputation for slightly better reliability. But, it is heavier and pushes more in the corners, from what I've read. The pushing can be fixed, but at the added expense of suspension work, which eats into the cost savings between the two. There is not much that can be done about weight though.

On the other hand the Outllaw is lighter and supposedly handles better. But, I'm not sure about the reliability. I've read of early bearing failures on the earlier outlaws.

Cheap bearings can be upgraded for reliability, but the bike is already more expensive than the honda.

I dunno. Tough decision. Whenever I look at a new quad, the final decision always comes down to what compromises I'm willing to live with...
    1999 400ex
    K&N w/outerwears
    Lexx MXe

Save the Dunes!
    www.savetheridersdunes.com

Where in the world are you getting a 700xx for $4700? They are $8,400 brand new? The 09 Outlaws are 7,600 new. i would shop around; most Polaris dealers give great discounts.

You really couldnt pay me to take the 700xx over an Outlaw. There is no comparison to me. Honda may or may not be more reliable.

Its kinda like comparing a corvette to a mustang. The 08 does not look to bad with the fenders cut and seat shaved so that it is flat. The 08 outlaw to the 700xx is a much more realistic comparison. But the 09 deafinatly addresses all the body and comfort features and I would think that you could pick one of the 09 IRS's for around $6. But if money is a consern pick the 08 outlaw you will not be disapointed. I hit doubles tables and double double sections, ripped through the whoops all by the second lap on my fist try on a brand ney stock 525 IRS. I now own a 09 450 w/525 jug and love it.
    2009 Polaris Outlaw 450MXR
    Sponsors:
    Polaris
    RSD Graphics
    Abbotts Power & Equipment
    FMF,661,American Star Manufacturing

Marsh, if you look around 700x are being given away at dealerships for between 4500-4700 otd. Maybe that speaks to their overall performance and satisfaction, I dont know.

I have read many rewiews from 700xx owners that are very pleased. I used to own a '04 predator and really liked it. But it sucked in the muddy trails that I ride. The speed and handling were great. I just purchased a scrambler 500 new and it has been a very fun bike in the muddy trails. But I miss the neck snap and light handling of the pred/outlaws.

I just have a hard time with the pricing of the '09 outlaws. Polaris is giving away '08s for 3999 and expect us to pay 7k for the '09. Not this guy. I am really torn. 700x has been given great review as a comfortable trail bike. One review called it the "straightline comfort king". I realize the oultaw is lighter and more agile. I just hope I can find one at a fair price. I do believe they will come down a bit as we get further into 2010. The '09 body style is awesome, so I think I should wait it out.

(as for polaris reliability... like I said I owned an '04 predator. I know it has a different motor and carb than the outlaws but in regards to the company in general I beat the **** out of that quad and it always started right up and ran like a top. No complaints there. I know Honda has an excellent rep too. I have an old accord and she never let me down either

What do you all think?

In my neck of the woods I've been quoted $6000 for an 09 Outlaw IRS, $4995 to $5400 for and 08 Outlaw IRS, and $4500 for an 08 700xx.

There are a lot of happy Outlaw and 700xx owners. I flip-flop between the two myself. Unfortunately, there is never a perfect quad. That's why I was saying for me it always comes down to what compromises I'm willing to live with.

To me the real drawback to the 700xx is the weight and apparent handling issues, which would have to be addressed given the dunes and other loose sandy conditions where I ride. If Honda had made the 700xx about 100 lbs. lighter the choice would be easier. I've also enjoyed the bulletproof reliability of my 400ex, so being able to ride without constant fixing is also important. I don't have personal experience with Polaris, but if I could be reasonably assured of similar reliability with an 09 Outlaw, I'd probably go that way...once prices come down a little.
    1999 400ex
    K&N w/outerwears
    Lexx MXe

Save the Dunes!
    www.savetheridersdunes.com

The 525 motor has been produced for a long time and is a proven winner. Please don't doubt this piece, it is powerful and reliable. The look will grow on you after you realize all the good reasons to get one. Hydraulic clutch, large fuel capacity, easy reverse switch, cushy ride, ground clearance, suspension travel, easy starting. I love the look, although I wondered about it a little. get the '08. You won't be sorry and you'll be grinning the whole way home for having saved so much!

Scott
    To be fast, you must know when to go slow...

'07 Outlaw 525 IRS
    HMF Elliptical Pipe
    JD Jets & K&N Cone filter
    AC Bumper
    PRM Skids
    Pure Polaris Nerfs & Pegs

how much does the 700xx weigh?
    XC race ready 2005 Honda TRX 450r

Competition Riders of America
    Kentucky Harescramble Series

Deadlastgraphix.Com

The 700xx is 508 lbs.