Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rincon shifting problem

Originally posted by reconmaster
    does this still occur on the 09s?
    like i said before let it warm up!!!! biggest thing let the efi idle down and like others said never slam it into rev when you moving in EITHER direction.. if you do that you will not have any problems with the rincon... change oil clean air filter once and a while and put fuel in it... then ride the heck out of it and enjoy!!!!
    88 250r
    My other machines change to often

650 rincon 03'

Ok i know this is a old thread but i would like to add that i would stay clear of a Honda Rincon 650/680 there transmissions are junk our local Honda dealer even recommends to buy the rubicon and says the rincons are terrible. ok i know this is just my opinion and others im not trying to flame but when you pay that much for a four wheeler and the thing grinds putting into gear and has shifting problems and ecu problems its junk.... my 03 rincon about a month after owning brand new when engaged into gear it would grind and pop out so i took it back the adjusted shift linkage and it stopped about 3 good creek rides later the shifter did same thing took it back and they said i had a bad trans and replaced it then got it back no problems i serviced properly and then got problems again..ughhh...i just let it sit cause now something is bad in transmission and my local honda dealer said oh btw that's a characteristic of that four wheeler now it literally drinks oil more than gas "no exaggeration" before every ride i have to put a quart of oil in it before i ride and about a hour into ride got to pour more oil in it for transmission to shift right...... the motor runs great and strong no oil leaks. but trans is crap and wont shift and oil passes the rings in the automatic transmission and then causes the dang thing to burn oil now ughhh... so upsetting ....maybe if they wouldnt try to make the transmission a smaller version of a honda civic auto trans then maybe we wouldnt have problems...never seen a civic in mud...have you?

i put 1800 miles on my 03 before i sold it and i rode it very hard everytime i started it. i have lots of pics of it sunk to the handle bars, and jumping it 10' in the air. nothing and i mean no other fat quad will handle like a rincon!! but anyways i never had a problem i changed oil every 300-400 miles and used the recommended non energy conserving 10w40 with honda filters. and i always let it warm up so the oil was flowing nice to the trans and the idle was down to prevent grinding the trans into gear at a high idle..
    my only disappointment was the drum front brakes after you sunk it once they are junk and work like crap.. all and all my 2 summer of the 03 rinny out lasted 2 grizzly 660's a brute 750 and 2 arctic scrap's, and i run the rinny harder than the rest, always leading balls to the wall, with 26" itp tires, and no i am not being bias. i think i got a little bit of a lucky one because my friend tranny went on his 05 at about 1200 miles but he was using 5w30 amsoil synthetic energy con. and honda does not recommend that at all...
    all i am saying they handle better than anything and work pretty good when properly maintained.. i miss mine
    88 250r

I have a 2006 Rincon and the trans works perfectly. Never had a problem since new with the transmission or shifting.

One of the biggest problems people seem to have with the Rincon is not having the correct amount of oil in them, usually to little and that can cause erratic shift problems. I have spoken to a few of Rincon owners over the years who are checking their oil improperly resulting is them running with low oil.

As been stated its important to use the proper oil, stay away for the car oils and diesel oils. As for changing it, I use AMSOIL synthetic 0W-40 and change at 50 hrs. Engine has never used a drop of oil and I have about 1800 miles on it.
    Mike
    2006 Honda Rincon 680
    2010 GMC Sierra A/T SLT ECSB Z71
    Synthoil Supply

ya check the oil with the dip stick unscrewed, i would trust a rinny for a long while if its properly maintained i seen 2 or 3 with over 5000 miles and guys claim no major problems, like i said i am not being bias, just facts...
    88 250r

The problem is that the final shift out gear has too many dogs on it. There is a fix though! All you have to do is replace this final shift out with one out of a Honda Big Red UTV. Once done you won't have any problems again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12