Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: z wont start and backfires

Hybrid View

z wont start and backfires

ok guys we went for a ride tonight and everytime we stoped and took a break it seemed like my battery got weeker and weeker till finally it went dead so we pull started it and it did fine for a while then it died and everytime we go to pull start it all it will do is sputter and backfire and shoot flames out the exhaust and the few times it did start it would act like it was hitting the rev limiter and start sputtering and then backfire and eventually die its too cold to mess with now so hopefully by morning someone has givin me a good starting point so i can get her up and goin again for another 19 degree ride

was there a rattle coming from the top end lately ? sounds like timing chain was loose and it jumped time on you. it will do that if this happens. betcha a buck thats what happened !
    2003 SUZUKI Z400 - +2 burgards 250r arms,front 450r revalves,gtthunder rear revalve and link,434 kit,hotcams,ferrea valves, dyna cdi,yoshi full system,flexx bars,powermadds,shamrock front,yellow label rear beadlocks,roll pegs,roll heel guards,400ex intake,450r tailight,190 fan switch,burgard swinger,rpm axle,250r rear caliper,anti-fade, kfx450 reverse thingy, it hauls and looks pretty too!!!

03 yamaha fz1 -*** rippin sport-tour bike

nope no rattling at all from the top end actually i just changed the timming chain about 2 3 months ago im thinkin it may be the stator im heading out to work on it now thanks for the suggestion

I'd say the reason its not running and sputtering is your jetting if it's cold it may be flooding out and then charging is probably the same as my problem stator or regulator or w e
    2005 yfz450
    -P.E.P Front shocks with oversized resivoirs
    -Metal Craft Long travel a arms
    -steering stabilizer
    -Lonestare +4 axle
    -Beadlock rear rims
    -Pro design filter
    -High Compression piston
    -AC nerfs
    -Blue frame
    -Fat bars
    -Taper Bored carb
    -HMF Exhaust

tested everything today and there is no contanuity or ohms at all from any of the wires its kinda hard to understand the suzuki service manuel becomes im used to clymer manuals plus i think someone has already changed the stator before becouse none of the wire colors match so if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what wires to test that would be great but im about 100% sure my stator has gone out thanks

check the carb. it might be gummed up and frozen
    08 kfx450
    04 kfx400

sounds like the regulator/ rectifier is bad and is overcharging the system which messes with the CDI and makes it spit and sputter...if you can get it running check charging voltage at the batter @3000 rpm it shouldnt be to much over 14.5 volts.....also sometimes if you turn the lights on this will clear up and thats a tell tail sign that the regulator is bad.

let us know what you find

well took off my plastics today and started at the front of the book on the diagnosis and my coil is good but im getting no spark at all well if i leave the key on for a minute or two it will spark 1 time and then thats it so i tested the stator wires and once again i get no ohms what so ever srom none of the wires no matter what way i test so i go to the next test that says check the voltage at stator wires as you crank the motor it says it should be atleast 130volts i get 00000000000 so its got to be the stator that went out on me im going to try and get one this week and ill let you guys know if thats what it was thanks for all the help and suggestions guys
    P.S. does anybody got a good stator they want to get outta there way LOL

Get a Ricky stator one there 125$ and they give you 25 more watts
    2005 yfz450
    -P.E.P Front shocks with oversized resivoirs
    -Metal Craft Long travel a arms
    -steering stabilizer
    -Lonestare +4 axle
    -Beadlock rear rims
    -Pro design filter
    -High Compression piston
    -AC nerfs
    -Blue frame
    -Fat bars
    -Taper Bored carb
    -HMF Exhaust

we just wanted to update this i finally got around to tearing apart my z after spending the past 2 weeks on my lil bros dvx but i took off the stator cover and had a bad deal one of the flywheel bolts backed out snapped off and just tore the stator to he!! so yeah i gotta order a new stator a flywheel puller and i guess a new bolt too so thanks for all the suggestions and help guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast