Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 42 pilot, quad doesn't idle anymore.

42 pilot, quad doesn't idle anymore.

Hey all, i have been running a 152 main with a slip on and uni air filter.

I wanted to do the 42 pilot mod to help out with the cold start.

I've put it in and now the quad doesn't wanna idle, it will slowly begin to idle slower until it dies, sounds like it's flooding out.

should i put a 40 pilot in? or should i make an adjustment to the a/f screw?

the quad idled fine with the 38 pilot and the 152 main, but now it dies after idling for about 10 seconds.
    2007 400ex

Might have to try the 40, I know when I jetted mine the 42 was too rich off idle and would die and the 40 helped alot. Report back if you still have trouble.
    ~Dallas~

03' Roll Design/IMS-Roll/Custom Axis/C&D Racing 416ex

Special thanks to...
    Colby@C&D Racing
    Hardkor Engineering
    G4 Graphics
    Team2powersports
    RockyMountain ATV
    Chino886
    K&K ATV
    JL ATV
    Magic Racing
    Blais Racing
    Metro Powersports
    IMS/Roll Design
    Motosportoutlet
    Badger Cycle
    And To my wife

Motor mods- JE 11:1 comp,Stg 2 Hotcam,C&D Race ported head,Stock carb jetted,White Bros pipe. Ran on Turbo Blue 110

40 it is, ill do that tomorow.
    2007 400ex

i've got the 40 in and it seems to start and idle a little better but it still seems rich? when i'm at low throttle, like prolly 1/8 throttle it does this lunge thing. It sounds like it's missing almost, Basically if i cruise at a low throttle it will kinda lunge and miss out.

What is causing this? do i need to adjust the air/fuel screw or something?

I've had all the pilots in, the 42 was definetly too rich and the 38 it was lunging too so that's why i thought i would need to go up, well the 40 it's still doing the lunge.

any tips? this is a pretty new quad with a lexx slip on and a uni air filter, has a 152 main jet and a 40 pilot and is lunging at low throttle.
    2007 400ex

i have an 05 with a very similar set up...lexx slip on, k&n filter.. and mine would die if i hit the throttle hard from an idle. im not sure if that is what you are talking about. i finally got mine to do right with a 40 pilot and about 1.5-2 turns out on the a/f screw. i know on the 05, and im guessing the 07 as well, it requires a special tool to adjust the screw, which has a d-shaped head. you can order them for cheap from dynojet. you have to call them to order. they are like $2-3 a piece, so i ordered 2 in case i lost another and it didn't affect shipping. hope this helps.
    2005 400ex
    lexx slip on
    450r front shocks
    k&n filter, no lid
    jetting:
    40 pilot, DJ 145 main
    2 turns out on a/f screw

forgot to say that since you basically had to take the carb off each time to adjust with that bogus screw, i would leave my airbox off and play with the choke to give me an idea of if i was too rich or lean, which would tell me which way i needed to adjust.
    2005 400ex
    lexx slip on
    450r front shocks
    k&n filter, no lid
    jetting:
    40 pilot, DJ 145 main
    2 turns out on a/f screw

ive got a 05, all you have to do is use a small pair of needle noses to unscrew the air screw all the way out then take a hacksaw and put a notch in it (screw), then use a screw driver to put back in then adjust it.
    2005 400ex, DMC duel exhaust,
    filter

ok based on my symptons do you guys think i need to go in with the a/f screw or out? It's never been adjusted but i'm pretty sure that's what's causing my surging
    2007 400ex

this is what i did when mine was surging and falling on its face when hitting the throttle from an idle. i cracked the choke and the problem went away. that told me the current set up was a little lean. since it was lean, i knew i had to back out just a little on the screw. that solved my problem. hope that helps
    2005 400ex
    lexx slip on
    450r front shocks
    k&n filter, no lid
    jetting:
    40 pilot, DJ 145 main
    2 turns out on a/f screw

yeah i think my problem might be different, it doesn't ever stumble or fall on it's face from giving it more throttle.

I notice the surging when you hold the throttle consistently down low, like i said. It's not when you push the throttle hard or more than about a quarter throttle.....if i do that the quad runs fine.

It happens when i hold a steady throttle at about 1/8 throttle. The quad is always plenty warm when i notice this.

For example, if i'm in 2nd gear going at 1/8 throttle my quad will kinda miss and then lunge a little. It's lets out when you are down at the low steady throttle.

Any advice guys? I need to get this resolved asap it's annoying.
    2007 400ex

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast