Thread: Difference between XC and MX Shocks

Difference between XC and MX Shocks

I was wondering about the differences between the ride of XC shocks and MX shocks. We are about to buy a 450r that has a MX setup but was raced in XC for some reason. By MX setup I mean it has +3 Long Travel A Arms with Elka Elite Shocks and a Houser Swingarm with Elka Elite Shock also. Here is the main Question...
    Will the XC setup of the shocks work for MX?
    My wife will be riding it and she is just a C Class rider for now. Any info would be extremely useful. Thanks, Quincy

Mainly, it's just the valving and spring rates that are different. In MX, the suspension has to soak up some hard landings, where an XC stup is to soak up the hard hits froms rocks, ruts, and roots. Only thing about an MX Setup, is it will beat you to death trying to run it in XC, not to mention the added width. An XC setup bike will do a lot better on an MX track than a MX bike will do on an XC track, even with bigger tires and where width is not an issue.

I think I understand what're your asking now. They supposedly raced this bike in XC, and your wife will be running MX? First off, you don't run XC with +3 a-arms, and I don't think you can valve shocks for XC with MX a-arms, but it is ELKA, so who knows. Try them out and see what they will do.

Yea I'm not real sure why you would race a MX setup ( 48inches wide ) for XC racing but its whatever. To each their own. Thanks for the info.