Thread: 400ex smokes when i start it

400ex smokes when i start it

now that its winter and i start my quad for the first time that day it smokes but idk if its smoke or water build up in the exhaust it wasnt broke in when i got it 6 months ago or somethingso i broke it in right but now its run it like you stole it i switch between exhaust cause where i live the neighbor lady hates when i put the loud pipe on (called cops twice now) so when i ride i put the loud on but i swapped lids an dodnt know if that has anything to do with it or not
    thanks in advance
    2005 400EX
    99-04 plastic, 155 main jet, 42 pilot jet, HMF Sport Series Slip-On, UNI air filter, LSR PB Block off plate, TAG bars, AC nerf bars, 15/39 gearing, CST Ambush rears, stock Ohtsu fronts

1973 Yamaha DT360A Enduro
    hooker headers/expansion chamber no other pipe

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

sounds like valve seals
    2005 400ex, DMC duel exhaust,
    filter

mine does to when is starts up in the beginging. now that its cold its guna smoke alittle from the hot air coming out of the exhaust reacting with the cold air. All my friends quads smoke to a little...expecially with the choke one. But once the the choke is off it shouldnt unless its extremely cold.

if youre bike is jetted for the lid off and you put the lid back on (90% of the time) youre going to end up running rich, and the smoke will be black and sooty....unburned fuel. The bike wont smoke just cause its cold outside thats condensation and will appear much different than "smoke".
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

it dont smoke black and i have a 158 main and everything stock i went up 10 sizes for my slip on but hardly ever run it
    ya i think it is condensatio cause it almost looks like steam thanks for help
    2005 400EX
    99-04 plastic, 155 main jet, 42 pilot jet, HMF Sport Series Slip-On, UNI air filter, LSR PB Block off plate, TAG bars, AC nerf bars, 15/39 gearing, CST Ambush rears, stock Ohtsu fronts

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Originally posted by MidnightBlade
    it dont smoke black and i have a 158 main and everything stock i went up 10 sizes for my slip on but hardly ever run it
    ya i think it is condensatio cause it almost looks like steam thanks for help
    the only way you will realy be able to tell is if you ride it and see how the power is on it.

just had it out a few minutes ago and power is better than stock but it misses when you let off the gas when it is cold outside
    2005 400EX

may be vale seals but it also could be rings i would do a compression test on it to be safe

compression is good just had it checked when i changed the plug but thanks for the concern
    2005 400EX