Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lt80 just clicks when trying to start

Lt80 just clicks when trying to start

I replaced the rollers in the clutch, I put everything back together and the quad would not start. After turning it over for a total of about 10 minutes the battery died. So, after I got a new battery and charged it up put it in all that happens now is the relay clicks. So now, I am wondering whats wrong with it not turning over now? I'm thinking maybe the relay is bad? Please help me out.

On the right side of the frame (right under the gas tank) there is a red and white wire connected to the frame. If you unplug the white connector and run a hot wire to the side that is connected to your starter this will bypass the relay and the ignition. Your starter should turn over and that will let you know if the starter is still good. I had this same problem and this is how I did it so I'm sure it works ( mine ended up being the starter, Hopefully its not the same for you) Hope this helps!

If you stand the machine on end you can jump it right at the starter.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Ok, I jumped the starter and it turns over. Does that mean the relay is bad? I took the relay off and shook it and there is stuff loose inside the relay. If that helps any.

Any help please?

I had a relay laying around for some projector headlights I had. I put that relay in and it did the same thing. Just clicked.

I ran a wire from the connector under the gas tank to the hot on the battery and the starter turned over.

So my guess is bad wiring or something from the relay to at least the connector under the gas tank?

should I just give up and get a pull start?

If you look at the relay and see where the two thick guage wires go into the relay pigtail, these go from the battery to the relay and then to the starter, you can use another thick guage wire and make a connection from one pin to the other. Just make sure that you go from one thick wire to the other and not to a small wire because you will probably fry something. this will tell you if the wiring from the relay to the starter is good. if this works and turns the starter then it will probably be your relay that's bad. hope this helps.

There is a circuit breaker under the right rear fender, if you are sitting on the quad. (It is in addition to the relay) If you push in on it it should reset. When I got mine the guy thought the motor was locked up because it would not start. When I got it home I found the circuit breaker and removed it and used a jumper wire and it started.
    It was about a week later that I figured out what I removed was a circuit breaker and it could be reset, It just looks loke a small box with no visible buttons. You push the part that faces the rear of the quad in to reset it.

Mine has tripped the breaker once again when the motor was flooded and I cranked on it for a while. Reset it and it was fine again.

Hope this helps you out.
    00 400EX
    96 CR250
    01 Trailboss 325

Alright. I replaced the relay it turned over a couple of times after i put it on. The starter sounnds really weak, it is just barely turning over. It is a brand new battery so i know its not that. So is there something wrong with the starter? I tok it out tonight but i dont know what i should be looking for if something is wrong.

Stick the starter in a vise and use a 12 volt supply to spin the starter.
    I'd think the starter is bad seeins you got it to spin after installing the new relay.
    Get on ebay. They have starters.

You do have a good ground from the frame to motor..right?!?
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast