Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outlaw 500 timing issue

outlaw 500 timing issue

well heres the problem....me and my stepdad has been rebuilding a outlaw 500 and we got everything done and tried to fire it up and the timing seemed to be backwards....??? it sucks through the exhaust and blows out of the air filter.....i tried turning the cams 180 degrees thinking that was the problem....but that didn't work either...i've tried timing it like a dozen times with no luck at all so any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated....this is the first time i've worked on a dual cam quad so i'm learning as i go.....thanx......

do you have a pic of it now?
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

no...we've actually taken it to a friends house and he has gotten the same results....but i can try to get a pic up....but it probably won't happen till this weekend....

is the piston at TDC when you put the cams in? flywheel on the "T"?
    '05 Polaris Predator 500 - HPD 558, hotcams, 40mm FCR, Rath Intake, Elka Elites, JD Adjustable uppers, et¢ et¢ et¢...$$$
    '03 Honda 400ex - uni filter and white brothers slip-on, timing key, ccp stabilizer...etc my backup buddy bike)

yea...we got one of those downloadable version of the repair manual things...and we did what it said when it comes to putting the piston top dead center and timing the quad.....it always came out the same way.......here is the only problem we had with it.....it said to align the the brass chain links on the timing chain with the marks on the cam as well as the mark that is at the bottom end of the motor...which we did the best we could with our only problem being was that the bottem sprocket that the cam chain rides on was supposed to line up a certain way with a mark on the motor we could not find the mark on our motor that was illustrated in the manual so we just kinda guessed as to where that mark was supposed to be.....

thatll do it. those marks only line up once every 22 rotations of the crank. You either use the brass links or dont but you cant middle ground it. I never use them but if its your first time maybe you should.

if the piston it at TDC and the flywheel is on T the cams just go in with the dots on the 9 & 12 location. Once theyre both there turn advance the exhaust cam 1 tooth forward. The 9 dot should be level with the head.

Are you releasing the tension on the cam chain tensioner? YOu cant install it extended or it will mess it up.

yes we released the tension on the cam chain tensioner....and that is also how we had the cams positioned....but u also say that those marks only line up every 22 rotations of the crank how do i know when its all lined up....do i need to pull the sidecase back off and try to locate all the marks again.......

when all gold links line up and theyre in the right position. The gold link is a way to do it but the ONLY way. If you are using the gold link then yes all 3 links have to line up. Top cam dot on both cams and the dot on the cam gear.

ok man thanx for all the help....i'll try it again and let ya know if it works or not.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast