Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KFX 450R Front Shock Install

KFX 450R Front Shocks Install

Finally got around to installing my KFX 450R front shocks. Got them for a pretty awesome deal on eBay, $150 for a "brand new" set. They were taken off the bike before it had even been started. The guy still has three sets left, actually. Here is a link to the auction. Anyways, I wasn't sure how I was going to do the fabrication at first. I was seeking advice from two members on here that had installed the KFX shocks as well. One said they cut the eyes down with a hacksaw, the other said they ground them down. So I decided to use both methods. Instead of using a hacksaw and doing it by hand, I sought the help of a band saw. First we took off the stockers and used them for measurements. We basically had to take 1/8" off each side of the eye. Instead of punching out the metal bushings and stuff, we just cut right through it. This is where the band saw proved very useful. The metal coupling is hardened steel, sawing by hand would have been a pain in the ***. After cutting as far as possible without hitting the reservoir we switched from the band saw to an air angle die and cut the rest of the eye slice off. From there we tried mounting the shock to see where we were sitting. Almost there but still had to do a little more work. Took an air sander and flattened down the back side of the shock eye, also took the grinder to the back side of the mount on the frame and finally had to grind down the nut where the plastics bolt on. After all that, the shocks bolt on like they were made for the bike.

Overall it was a fairly simple job, took about 4 hours of slow but steady work. I must say the band saw is they way to go for this job. If you don't have access to one, good luck. It definitely can be done, it will just take a lot more work.

Feel free to ask any questions. Pictures will be in the next post.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

Comparing the two shocks:

Cutting on the band saw:

Taking the rest of the cut off with the die grinder:

Cleaning up the eye as well as flattening the back for the fit:

Grinding down the frame and the bolt:

After (that's the nut that also needs to be taken down with the grinder):

How the mount looks:

One side on:

And both on:

I could easily tell the difference just by lifting the front end up and playing with the suspension. There is actually some cushion when you push down on the grab bar. Before it would just spring right back up. Can't wait to hit the trails to test them out.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

let us know how it rides!!
    '05 Honda 400EX - SARA
    Pro Taper Contour SE bars - Pro Taper Pillow Top MX Grips - Kill Switch/Tether - ASV - 450R Shocks - Burgard +2 A Arms - AC Racing Nerfs - Blingstar Victory Bumper - 13/39 - White Bros. E Series Exhaust - K&N Air Filter - ITP Holeshot Rims & Tires - CF Hood - Badass Lil Rider =)

2010 Sponsors: DFR, SixSixOne, DWT Racing, Psycho Wear Clothing, Steel MX Optics

"Lift It, Fat Girls Can't Jump!"

i was thinking of doing the same. my 300ex shocks are so soft. it hurts when i land after jumps. i think i need stiffer shocks
    06 TRX300EX SOLD
    • HMF Full system pipe with red vector tip• DG Nerfs• oury gips• tag bars• dura blue spacers• blingstar ironcross bumper • 450r fat bar clamp• red powermadds with hand wrap• moose crf clutch lever• 07 red fenders• 135 main jet• kenda klaw tires front and rear• YFZ450 front calipers• quadtech seat

05 Trx450R
    •Fat Boy 4 Exhaust •K&N Air Filter •Laeger A-Arms •Nerfs

dude dont they look good when you get them all done up!! haha glad to see you were able to get them on!! and damn good job on pics haha i wish i would have done the same on my build!! and im glad that we got ours done before everyone else see's this post. i have a feeling alota people will be picking a aset of these up haha

Good work
    Anyone doing this install you can also use a grinder with a metal cuttin wheel and a sanding wheel and it gets the job done!!
    Just measure twice and cut once
    2002 400ex
    White Bros slip-on E-series
    K&N w/outerwears
    Airbox modded
    CDI box
    162 main jet
    DG fatty series nerf bars
    Full Flight racing +2 +1 Aarms
    Dura Blue wheel spacers all around
    KFX 450r Shocks
    Sparks Key
    4 in spal fan
    Odi Rouge grips
    Custom CNC stabilizer

Nice job man I wish I coulda helped more but I didn't have any of those tools. Great write up, you didn't need help at all. It's looking fly.

Btw I didn't do anything to the frame I just grinded the head of the shock eye down where it would rub. I didn't wanna mess with the mount and possibly weaken it. just my .02 for anyone else doing this.

One guys asked how they ride... better. They are way softer if you want or way stiffer and then of course you can change rebound for whatever your doing.
    Ryan
    2008 YFZ450 Gray/Red
    Pro Armor bumper
    Dr.D slip-on exhaust
    Twin Air Filter
    Blingstar sprocket and rotor guard
    ITP Quadcross XC rear tires on Tech 3 Hipers
    Black Outs!

2007 TRX400ex Sold http://nwmx.weebly.com/index.html
    HondaRidinRyan (youtube), commander1ryan (xbox live)

Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
    Nice job man I wish I coulda helped more but I didn't have any of those tools. Great write up, you didn't need help at all. It's looking fly.

Btw I didn't do anything to the frame I just grinded the head of the shock eye down where it would rub. I didn't wanna mess with the mount and possibly weaken it. just my .02 for anyone else doing this.

One guys asked how they ride... better. They are way softer if you want or way stiffer and then of course you can change rebound for whatever your doing.
    It's all good, I still appreciate the help I got from you and Donjuan. It lead me in the right direction. We decided to take the back part of the bracket off so we wouldn't have to take as much off the shock eye.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'm really liking the results and I haven't even hit the dirt yet haha.
    '05 TRX400EX:

Looks good, man! Just an FYI: The nuts for the fender brackets are just lightly tacked into place. You can easily knock them off with a chisel or old screwdriver and secure the brackets with a standard button head screw and nut.
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex

One GIRL asked how they ride... better. They are way softer if you want or way stiffer and then of course you can change rebound for whatever your doing.
    hahah awesome good to hear!
    '05 Honda 400EX - SARA
    Pro Taper Contour SE bars - Pro Taper Pillow Top MX Grips - Kill Switch/Tether - ASV - 450R Shocks - Burgard +2 A Arms - AC Racing Nerfs - Blingstar Victory Bumper - 13/39 - White Bros. E Series Exhaust - K&N Air Filter - ITP Holeshot Rims & Tires - CF Hood - Badass Lil Rider =)

2010 Sponsors: DFR, SixSixOne, DWT Racing, Psycho Wear Clothing, Steel MX Optics

"Lift It, Fat Girls Can't Jump!"

Great write up! How is it sitting with the new shocks? Higher/ lower?
    '02 440ex
    Modded air box lid
    450 carb
    K&N
    White Bros slip on
    450r shocks
    Houser +2 a arms
    Houser +1.25 swing arm
    RPM Dominator axle

Originally posted by wckedclownz69
    umm i like ICP and i like to 69....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast