Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty intake

Haggerty intake

Just put the Hagerty racing intake on a 2009 (70). I thought I would share some pics and some info that may help the average joe's out there.

1. Got the intake and a few pointers from Marc at Hot Quads. I used the older version with the Vforce reeds and KX65 boot.

2. I took off the plastic and gas tank so I could see it from the top. Glad I did because it wasnt easy as I thought it was going to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

continued

I had to alter a few tools and one of the bolts. I tried a couple methods. Marc cut a allen wrench down to fit in there but I couldnt get it to work so I cut the end off a wrench and welded a small section of the hex to it.

+++

I also used a grinder to shave down the top of the head and around the edge.

+++

heres another view, it will become obvious why this will help later

+++

I mounted the boot to the intake and then to the motor. I had several leaks when I performed the leak down test. It leaked around the gasket at the bottom in the front where the short bolt goes, it also leaked between the reed cage and boot. I took it all off and re-sealed everything with high temp RTV. I used it along with the paper gaskets at each contact point and it finally sealed.

The front had to be altered with a dremel a little because the bolt wouldnt let it line up. you can see in the pic right above the slot where it needs to be done.

+++

The front bolt has to go in prior to the intake. It needs to be threaded down as far as it can go and still slide the intake on, if not you cant get the hex wrench into it ( trust me ).

+++

another look

+++

When you slide it on there will not be much room to tighten the bolt under the front and that will leak. This is where you will need to alter some tools....Good luck.

++

another shot, it will be tough to get it tight under there.

I think it will work better if you can go to Fastenal, or some other nuts and bolts store, and get this type of head with the same threads. It may just need the diameter shaved with a grinder but the head doesnt stand up and should be much easier to work with.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast