Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hagerty intake

Intake

Quote Originally Posted by bloodswet&gears View Post
    I know this is a very old thread, but. Who made these intakes, why do they not still use them? Were they made by/for Quads or scooters? Is a yz85 reed cage/boot right & the only one that works? Somebody knows something.

Hey man, not sure if that intake was made by hagerty. We have had several of them and none were built like that. I have used the rear facing intake as well. The goal of the intake is to use bigger reeds and move them up above the case. More airflow and smoother transition was what it was designed to do. At one time almost all the national quads in (90cvt) were running them. Later folks started using different versions, reeds, smaller intakes, ect. I believe there are slightly smaller intakes and carb setup's that will increase velocity of the air while providing a smooth transition. That will also give you better throttle response. I don't think its the best intake/setup for small or intermediate tracks. I think it's best used when on big tracks with long hole shots, ect.
    ------------------------------
    CARSON BROTHERS RACING
    #17 Brady Carson
    #18 Jordan Carson

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Alabama AX championships

Special Thanks; Hot Quads, Max RPM, Dave Carter and ATV Four-Play

Intake

Quote Originally Posted by thequadfather+2 View Post
    Hey man, not sure if that intake was made by hagerty. We have had several of them and none were built like that. I have used the rear facing intake as well. The goal of the intake is to use bigger reeds and move them up above the case. More airflow and smoother transition was what it was designed to do. At one time almost all the national quads in (90cvt) were running them. Later folks started using different versions, reeds, smaller intakes, ect. I believe there are slightly smaller intakes and carb setup's that will increase velocity of the air while providing a smooth transition. That will also give you better throttle response. I don't think its the best intake/setup for small or intermediate tracks. I think it's best used when on big tracks with long hole shots, ect.
    Thanks for the reply. Don't think haggerty made them. Longer intake runner works best with higher rpm's. Track size wont matter with the cvt. Clutch don't engauge at low rpms. Maybe the reed cage on this intake is too large. Think it may be a yz85 reed cage. Blaster is too large. Think you answered my question but I may still give it a shot. Thanks Bruce. Miss your videos by the way.

Thanks man, we missed racing this year.

I'm just throwing this out there for what its worth,this is just an informative post for anyone looking at intakes/reed valves. If there is someone out there considering changing things on their set up and looking for something like a Haggerty "style" intake they will find several versions. The reason its called a Haggerty is because they pioneered the first and most popular version. Later others were made in similar fashion. Maximum RPM and Chuck Losey were making a very nice piece (the best we used) for a long time until Hot Quads and G-Force made a different version later that worked very well. Then came a few intermediate size intakes that opened a few eyes by taking hole shots at the nats using smaller carbs....go figure. My theory: there is no magic intake, put the right intake with the right set up and bingo....

I just want to point out that, with regard to the intake, the clutch engagement is not the issue because most people set the clutch to hit at Higher RPM's where the engine is making power. The issue with the intake (on small vs big tracks) is throttle response which means a lot on an indoor track where the hole shot is 50-75 feet. I learned that the first year we ran big intakes. Marc Smith warned me about taking the big intake into an arenacross race but of course I always learn the hard way. A short intake with a little more velocity will have quicker throttle response and is an advantage for a small track with a short hole shot. Our best setup for a small track was with a machined/bored (polished) stock intake and 28mm carb.The reason high RPM engines perform really well with a big intake and Reed valve is because they are begging for all the air they can get and that big intake will give it. The RPM's are a by-product of how much air the motor can get in and out. Of course there are other things that effect RPM's but are not related to the motor itself such as clutching and gearing both of which can hold RPM's down. I tested numerous set-up's from Hot Quads and tested several proto-type intakes as well. Together with Hot Quads/G-Force we helped test a set-up where the reeds were rotated 90 degrees in the case. We tested small intakes that increased velocity and different versions of big intakes. When I say tested I mean with an RPM guage, gopro camera, timing lights and rider making run after run...no dyno pulls. What I found was there wasnt a magic intake...There were magic set-ups, but none based simply on the intake. We ran three types of engines 2fast non-ported, 2fast ported, and 2fast 89.9cc. We also used 65 and 85cc reed valves.
    CARSON BROTHERS RACING
    #17 Brady Carson
    #18 Jordan Carson

Quote Originally Posted by bloodswet&gears View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Don't think haggerty made them. Longer intake runner works best with higher rpm's. Track size wont matter with the cvt. Clutch don't engauge at low rpms. Maybe the reed cage on this intake is too large. Think it may be a yz85 reed cage. Blaster is too large. Think you answered my question but I may still give it a shot. Thanks Bruce. Miss your videos by the way.
    Billy Frazier intake - originally made for TT before Hagerty started making them. Hagerty's version was a bit different and the most popular very early in the intake development process. many moons ago.
    CARSON BROTHERS RACING
    #17 Brady Carson
    #18 Jordan Carson

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678