Thread: how to tell if starter clutch is bad from looking at it?

Hybrid View

how to tell if starter clutch is bad from looking at it?

well I been having trouble with starting my 400ex, scro made a suggestion that it was probably my starter cluthc, and after reading up on it, it seemed like it was. I finally got the flywheel off yesterday (had to order flywheel puller), and I cant tell if it is bad? my friend has a couple parts motors, so we're just going to change the whole flywheel/starterclutch. is it possible it is bad without being able to tell? or will we have to take it off of the flywheel itself to be able to tell? thanks, neil
    I live life 300ft. at a time...

come on someone has to know..

You should be able to spin it one way with no problem then when you try the other way it should lock up.
    '02 440ex
    Modded air box lid
    450 carb
    K&N
    White Bros slip on
    450r shocks
    Houser +2 a arms
    Houser +1.25 swing arm
    RPM Dominator axle

Originally posted by wckedclownz69
    umm i like ICP and i like to 69....

Originally posted by gt400ex
    You should be able to spin it one way with no problem then when you try the other way it should lock up.
    x2

the ones we took off does that (spin one way but not the other). does that mean it isn't bad?

Yea it should be fine. What is the problem your having that you needed to check that?
    '02 440ex
    Modded air box lid
    450 carb
    K&N
    White Bros slip on
    450r shocks
    Houser +2 a arms
    Houser +1.25 swing arm
    RPM Dominator axle

man its like it spins, it just doesnt turn it over. (I bought the bike without a wiring harness, put one on and find this). we can push/pull start it and it starts and runs great, idols perfect and runs really strong. we got it to start by itself once or twice. it sounds like its straining i guess you can say? like it kinda wants to but just can't. suppose to be a new starter

Ok so the starter is spinning with no trouble or acting like a dead battery? Sorry your last post sounds like its doing both. If it sounds like the starter is spinning over strong but not turning the engine over then that dose sound like a problem with the starter clutch. There should also be a woodruff key between the crank and mag, if thats sheared it could act funny.
    '02 440ex
    Modded air box lid
    450 carb
    K&N
    White Bros slip on
    450r shocks
    Houser +2 a arms
    Houser +1.25 swing arm
    RPM Dominator axle

sorry it's hard to explain lol. it mostly just spins, but we did get it to crank over once or twice (after a long,long) time of trying. I know at FIRST when we pulled the side case off, and it was still on the bike, it wouldnt spin, we had to break it lose if im not mistaking. we didn't take off the starter clutch from the fly wheel (stays together by allen wrenches right?) because we dont know much about it at all. so we took a flywheel,starter clutch straight out of one of his motor that we know is good. I hope it works..

thanks for the help! just switched them out and its turning over now. didnt start it yet, but it is turning it. just need a solenoid now. thanks again