Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New '09 DS90X

Angry New '09 DS90X

Hi there

We just picked up our sons DS90X here in Canada Quebec and we have had a few quirks with it.

We dont seem to have the preparation done, was low on brake fluid front and back.
    Was missing the gascap breather.
    Was missing the kill switch.
    And when we put it on the trailer we applied the parking brake , when we arrived home it had eaten a chunk out of the brake handle.

Today sunday i did the pre ride inspection, let the kid drive and after about 15 minutes the belt started smelling burnt quite a lot.

The CVT casing was so hot my sons boots where steaming from the water being heated by the case. I poured some water on the case and it boiled off.

I just hope we havent got a lemon cause we are racing this ride in the spring.

You can view the machine at my sons website on Loop'd its a SponsorHouse site.

http://www.loopd.com/members/jacobtrudeau
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Polini X3R H20 '05
    DS90X '09

Jacob Trudeau 6 Year Old
    Mini-Stock ATV #43 CMRC
    Sponsors: Amsoil, AXO, No-Toil, SMX Optics, Leatt Brace, Pro-Armor X Brand (MX).

Our Main Sponsor Materiaux Coupal/Rona

cvt cover

hey man, we race drr's but my son has a ds 90 that he uses for a recreational bike here on the farm and I have to tell you this bike has got probably 2000 plus hours on it and I changed the belt once and tore it down for inspection 3 days ago, this has been the most trouble free cvt I have ever seen. Our race bikes require alot of cvt maintenance but it is understandable with the added horsepower and torque. I keep a digital infared handheld thermometer (the hold and shoot kind) handy at all times. you should be running 150 to 160 max on your hottest days, thats what we have at like the end of august. the can am's are vented pretty well from factory. sounds like you might have an issue with the variator hanging open which keeps the bike in "high" gear all the time
    Chris Wood

Kill-Switch feature and surface rust concern

Hello Coley'sDad

And thanks for the insight.

We have an other stumbling block. Aftter reviewing the preparation we have been notified by our dealer that thier has been a recall concerning the kill-switch. that's why we didnt have a switch on the bike. (bikes are now shipped without a kill-switch)

Now our concerns are was it the kill switch that is not adequate or its a design problem with the ride that doesnt permit the added load of a kill switch can provide on an electrical circuit.

we dont want a ride that you cant add a kill switch, in our rules the vehicle has to have a functional kill switch, for the riders security and for the staff's and the public.

We also noticed on the frame that at every welding juction their is surface rust. have any other owners had the same problem ??

We have other machines and they dont have any rust on the welds and this ride is brand new. cant wait to see what response we shall get from Can-Am.

Regards François
    Trudeau Racing 4 drivers
    Polini X3R H20 '05
    DS90X '09

Jacob Trudeau 6 Year Old
    Mini-Stock ATV #43 CMRC
    Sponsors: Amsoil, AXO, No-Toil, SMX Optics, Leatt Brace, Pro-Armor X Brand (MX).

ds

Francois,
    The kill switch doesn't add any electrical load to the vehicle. When rider "falls off" tether is pulled and all that does is make a deat short of coil power to ground. The stock switches on most bikes are junk anyway, get a good one from your supplier and then you won't have to worry about it not functioning like it should (pro design makes a good one). Don't know about the rusty weld issue, perhaps a bad tsp (tri sodium phosphate) bath before painting.
    Chris Wood

Oil Cooler

Can-Am should have added an oil cooler by now to that machine. I think Hetrick Racing may have one by now that you can add. Be sure to run synthetic oil in that quad.....it may help save the motor when running hot. We owned one of those when it first came out and I hate to say your learning a hard lesson the rest of us 90X owners had to learn. If your son plans to race, go for the APEX for something ready to go right out of the box. If you like buying peformance parts and have the $$, Both APEX and DRR are the way to go. If you want to stick with a 4-stroke, the Honda is probably the way to go from what I've seen. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for the Honda. The other problem with Can-Am that I found is it can take forever to get parts. It took us 6 months for a new rear shock under warranty. Your next challenge is selling the 90X without taking a beating.

We didn't have the rust issues you were talking about........ sounds like the dealer had it outside for a long time and maybe some quality control problems with the paint job.

Todd

Hi again

Well concerning the electrical load, here is what actually happens.

Your DIS module receives the firing signal via a hall effect sensor, this signal actually triggers a Triac wich in return powers the primary field of the ignition coil (wich is a load)

The firing logic in the DIS module controls the duration of the coil charging time and the actual drop off voltage that is requirerd to invert the primary fiels back to a negative state at this moment when the current drops the secondary side provides a high voltage spark at the spark plug.

A kill switch as per the instructions should be connected to the primary coil " +" and when it is activated grounds this wire. at this point you are creating a short circuit.

If you continue to fire the DIS module with the hall effect sensor still providing a signal to trigger the triac well you are provoking the triac to fire the primary side but it is shorted to ground via the kill switch ( every crank rotation activates the hall effect sensor, their is a lost moment at the exhaust opening in the firing cycle of the engine the other activates the air/fuel at the end of the compression stroke.

Shorting the hall effect signal will prevent the triac from triggering and will prolong the life of your module.

Take a firing diagram (ignition circuit)and have a good look and if you know how electricity works you will see my point.

We traced our problem of our last DNF to a burnt triac in our DIS caused by our kill switch shorting the "+" of our coil.

François Trudeau

PS we race in a stock category no modifications allowed
    Polini X3R H20 '05
    DS90X '09

Jacob Trudeau 6 Year Old
    Mini-Stock ATV #43 CMRC

Like Fish On said good luck. Take the time & read all of the post on here about these rolling turds. I tried hard to like this quad but couldnt make it happen. Ours is still forsale.

Hi Everyone

What are exactly all the concerns ?

My son Jacob will be racing in a STOCK category.

The only thing we can actually do with the machine is make it secure for the rdier , kill-switch, adjust the handles and lever configuration, adjust the nerf bars.

Concerning the engine we can only use the provided adjustments we can't modify any parts or improve over the stock intake and stock exhaust.

But the are major problems with this machine well we would love to here your feed-back.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram ?
    Does anyone have a clutch adjustment procedure?

Thanks for the input.
    Polini X3R H20 '05
    DS90X '09

Jacob Trudeau 6 Year Old
    Mini-Stock ATV #43 CMRC

If your not changing the exhaust & cluthes you may be ok. These engines run hot out of the box. Like Fish on said invest in a oil cooler no matter what. As far as the clutch goes check out Hetricks they sell a kit with just the springs. Max. rpm sells the whole cluch & bell. You may also want to take the front number plate off to let more airflow in . The way the double a arms are on the X really resricts air to the engine.

Thanks for the info.

I won't be able to add an oil-cooler cause we have to keep them stock.

What about the suspension the front has way to much spring and not enough dampening.

We change the oil at every race and we race an average of 3 races a day, we keep the same oil for pactice run's but most race locations do not permit you to drive and test drive your ride when the events have started.
    Polini X3R H20 '05
    DS90X '09

Jacob Trudeau 6 Year Old
    Mini-Stock ATV #43 CMRC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast