Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMF vs. FMF pipes

HMF vs. FMF pipes

I would like to get a pipe for my 525 IRS. My friend has an FMF, so I know how it sounds/performs. It seems like the HMFs are quite a bit cheaper. Do they perform as well as the FMFs? How do they sound? These are both the slip-on type.

Thanks!

I think they are all so close......just go woth whatever looks best for your price point.

I chose the Stainless Muzzy's
    They (Muzzy's) were at Dunefest, and made an offer I could not refuse.

I am also happy with the Pro-Circuit on the Pred, but I could not find one for under MSRP for the Outlaw.
    06 Predator TLD, Pro-Circuit T-4
    07 Outlaw 525 IRS, Muzzy's Ti
    Holeshot XCR's on all 8 corners.

I have heard at polaris riders.com that the HMF makes some great power. Even with engine upgrades and other add ons. My brother has a full FMF 4.1 and quite frankly he is not very happy with it. The HMF is just really loud.

My advise is wait till the new year when HMF puts out there new pipes. Should be alot quieter while still making some good power and great sound.

Sheriff-

I am new to this ATV game. Do the pipe manufactures come out with new pipes every year?

I removed my spark arrestor in my stock pipe and it sounded so much better. I was at Little Sahara last weekend and could tell an improvement just from that tiny piece of metal.

Originally posted by rocksrisa
    Sheriff-

I am new to this ATV game. Do the pipe manufactures come out with new pipes every year?
    Not really. HMF is just moving forward with a new design on there pipe to meet the new ever decreasing decibel limits while keeping as much power as possible.

I have just gone from a full stainless MUZZYS to an HMF slip-on with OEM header. I wasn't expecting to feel much of an increase, but was nicely surprised by the gains the HMF Sport made through out the band over the MUZZYS. I also have a CP 12:1, 8/06 cam, 41.6 bored carb with Velocity Intake and Vortex X10 ignition. The core in the HMF is quit a bit larger than the MUZZYS, so more than likely compliments the mods better than the MUZZYS.

Don't get me wrong. I like the MUZZYS. It makes good power over stock, and looks awesome. I just think if your gonna mod the internals the HMF is a better option. Plus you cant beat the price!

A draw back for most with the HMF Sport is noise. It is loud. Louder than the MUZZYS. However, I'm somewhere that noise is not a concern.

Chris
    **Chris**

The REAPER is coming ............

OMW

Originally posted by sheriff525
    I have heard at polaris riders.com that the HMF makes some great power. Even with engine upgrades and other add ons. My brother has a full FMF 4.1 and quite frankly he is not very happy with it. The HMF is just really loud.

My advise is wait till the new year when HMF puts out there new pipes. Should be alot quieter while still making some good power and great sound.
    he is not happy with the 4.1? Was it tuned right because I think it works very well.
    2009OUTLAWIRS #134
    2008-9OUTLAW525XCR #134
    2008RZR
    POLARIS
    Sponsors
    *Polaris Industries
    *R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing
    *predatorowners.com
    *SCOTT, 661, EVOMX,

Originally posted by ZsPred

A draw back for most with the HMF Sport is noise. It is loud. Louder than the MUZZYS. However, I'm somewhere that noise is not a concern.

Chris
    Thanks ZsPred. How much loader is the HMF than FMF? I haven't seen anyone with an HMF pipe so I can't tell.

The only FMF I have heard is the one Polaris sells, whichever that is.

My HMF Sport is a good bit louder than it. I don't nor have ever used the quite core or spark arrestor in any pipe so can't tell you how they compare or feel.

Chris
    **Chris**

The REAPER is coming ............

OMW

Originally posted by SSJEFF
    he is not happy with the 4.1? Was it tuned right because I think it works very well.

I 2nd that, mine works awesome
    John Boy #55
    08 Outlaw 525S LE with a few goodies
    Victory Motorsports Racing
    Carolina Polaris

Only issue I have with the FMF is the same that I have with all pipes. after 15 hours the packing blows out.

I am considering the CT because there is no packing in them I think.
    2009OUTLAWIRS #134
    2008-9OUTLAW525XCR #134
    2008RZR
    POLARIS
    Sponsors
    *Polaris Industries
    *R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing