Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 400EX rear brakes suck!

400EX rear brakes suck!

Does anyone know of any brake pads that hold up to sand and water.I get three rides out of a set of full-metalic pads!My dealer tells me that 400EX's eat rear brake pads and this is normal.I ride with raptors, a warrior,and another 400EX(that eats pads too),the yamahas pads are the original pads and they ride in the same conditions as I do.

How old is your 400EX?

In muddy/wet conditions it's not uncommon for the rear brake pedal pivot to sieze up enough to cause the brakes to drag enough to eat pads like crazy...

An incorrect parking brake adjustment can also cause problems...

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Look at what Leo said, then if everything is OK there, try EBC Severe Duty pads. They won't stop you well if they're wet, but they shouldn't wear out. If you use those quickly, then there is definitely a problem.
    2001 MX Race 400EX - TQRA Series Racer #721

My Quad Site
    TQRA Site
    C&D Racing - 308-696-7805
    Bullet Motorsports

"You can't have a battle of the wits with someone that's unarmed."

The 400EX has a rear brake? lol. I had the same problem at MX track with beach sand and found that my parking break adjustment was off. If you don't buy a block off just back that bolt out all the way. It worked for me. Also, I have noticed the more experienced I have gotten riding mx tracks and woods that I only use my front break. Helps to prepare for corners and gets your weight forward.
    Later
    Eric
    I have a solution to your low end problem, keep it in the high end.

2000 Red 400EX
    Renthal Bars
    WhiteBrothers Silencer and Rev Limiter
    DG Front Bumper, Nerf Bars, and 6 Pack Rack

Two days ago I had to pull out my rear brake lever to free it up. My rear brakes seemed to be getting bad even though I had just put on EBC Severe duty pads a few weeks back. It turned out that the rear brake pivot shaft got (Edited) on it and (edited) near siezed up keeping the rear brakes partially on all the time. It works great now, good as new.
    Last edited by SGA; 11-12-2001 at 07:03 PM.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

My rear brake lever siezed on me and i had to diassemble it and relube, havent had a problem sinced.
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Mine would eat up brake pads too, more so in sand, mub, slop, ect. After I removed the parking brake I don't go through as many. The parking brake must have been out of adjusmet. I have a couple of friends with Banshees and they have the same problem. At least they all use the same pad. I think the caliper is the same also. I would suggest adjusting the parking brake or removing it.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

the parking brake is useless anyway, why not just spend 12 buks on a block off plate and solve the problem?
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Blade

After one ride at Wayne National Forest, my rear pads were toasted (I think Honda bought them from Polaris). I replaced them with solid brass brake pads from Box Braking Components. Check them out at www.boxbrakes.com I have not had a chance to ride with them in the mud yet to see how they will hold up, but it should be far superior to anything else. I will post a thread after my Aug 18-19 ride to say how these things held up.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy - the perfect fusion of chrome and leather!!!

Magnum Photos

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 400ex Magnum
    [B]Blade

After one ride at Wayne National Forest, my rear pads were toasted (I think Honda bought them from Polaris).

That was a good one.
    I have a solution to your low end problem, keep it in the high end.

2000 Red 400EX
    Renthal Bars
    WhiteBrothers Silencer and Rev Limiter
    DG Front Bumper, Nerf Bars, and 6 Pack Rack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast