Thread: Kodiak 400 pipe question

Kodiak 400 pipe question

My buddy owns a kodiak 400 and I have a few questions for him. Does uncorking the pipe lean out the motor way too much? and do they make any aftermarket pipes for it?

Pipe question

Hi Adam.I just bought a 2002 Kodiak 400 & am also trying to find an aftermarket exhaust.I read somewhere on this forum about someone mentioning a " HMF" exhaust.I've yetto do a search , but if I find anything interesting,I'll yet you know & would appreciate the same.Unfortunately,I'm a "newbie" to ATV's,so it seems to be learn as you go.I also am trying to find an aftermarket air filter.Any ideas ? Thanks

not sure about the pipe, but an air filter can lean it out too much. You need to do the jet if u want to increase the air.

filer

Thanks Timmy.I would have never guessed an A/F would require re-jetting.I wonder if the carb on this Yam Kodiak has a moveable needle on the throttle slode like all the Mikunis in years past.That used to moake mixture changes so easy.Do you know ? thanks again,keith

sorry, i don't know much about carbs. I had a friend do my jet.
    My 2000 smokes my bro's 2005. so the jet does work

I don't believe the needles are adjustable on my 2001. I ordered a jet kit off the net for $60-$70.

I talked to a local recreational product mechanic about my wheeler too. He said that he typically rejets most Big Bears/Kodiaks that come in because they are set really lean from the factory. With that in mind, I can only assume that a new pipe would require new jets to get maximum performance.

Kory

Thanks Foxman...

I keep hearing that over & over that everything is overlean for emissions,etc. I guess It'd be too easy just to reset the slide.No biggie once I find an aftermarket supplier of re-jetting kits for my Kodiak. Thanks again,keith