Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot out coming soon! 450r carb vs. OEM carb

I thought the bone stock HP on a 400ex was pretty well known. Not that I know off the top of my head, but, I thought is was somewhere around 28hp? Anyone know?

When is the test going to take place?

Looking forward to the results....

I found the carb to be worthless and ruine my performance. I am kinda excited to see something like this done. Hope it wasn't all in my head lol.

Nice to see the members are keeping something going, the website have kinda forgotten about us EX riders since the 450 craze. Guess they forgot it was originally exriders.com and that the EX page has more post's than any other forum other than open forum lmao.
    2008 TRX400EX

Some go fast parts and look cool stuff added.

Originally posted by Snipe
    I found the carb to be worthless and ruine my performance. I am kinda excited to see something like this done. Hope it wasn't all in my head lol.

Nice to see the members are keeping something going, the website have kinda forgotten about us EX riders since the 450 craze. Guess they forgot it was originally exriders.com and that the EX page has more post's than any other forum other than open forum lmao.
    The 450r carb? I think it was more worth while then when I put the 416 kit and pipe on my old 400ex.

Yup the 450R carb. In low end it gave a better throttle response but that really was all it did, no more power no more nothin. After getting past taking off the thing went bizzar couldnt get it to work it out changed jets/settings MANY times and still closest I could get it to run was with dead spots in the throttle. Went back to stock and had to actually go bigger on jet size and it runs perfect and way stronger than it ever thought of with the R carb.

IME the R carb was a waste of time and money installing.

But plus side I at least got to try it out and resold it on ebay for $20 profit.
    2008 TRX400EX

Some go fast parts and look cool stuff added.

Wow, Mine runs great, but whats weird is Im a good bit richer then anyone else on here I've seen and she runs excellent. Mega power. I hit the rev limiter way faster then before, and Im 215 lbs.

i think monitoring oil temperature throughout the runs could help the consistency. looking forward to the results.
    ~Mike~
    2000 Honda 416EX

Originally posted by Pipeless416
    i think monitoring oil temperature throughout the runs could help the consistency. looking forward to the results.
    great idea, and good point, will do.
    I have the XR'sOnly temp gauge dip stick, as well as a laser/IR type temp gauge. I'll use them both.
    This gives me another idea too, I'll use the laser to also monitor the temp of the headpipes at various jettings and speeds.
    It might come in handy for somebody doing some of their own jetting.
    I'm putting together box of stuff to take with me, both carbs, fuel lines, both twist throttles, jets, extra spark plug, lug wrench, extra batteries for camera, extra SD card, note pad, pen, and now the laser temp gauge.
    Thanks for the excellent tip. Keep them coming...

Hopefully the test will be sometime next week, after the holiday weekend is over.

good thread cant wait to see the results. i will also like to see the 450r carb vs a sparks or lectron 39mm fcr carb all the techs says that is the way to go but thats a big price pay i want to see if its worth it i heard u should see any where between 3-8hp depending on mods that u have.
    460ex stroker ,triple rate shocks w/reserves,cfm alum. airbox,denton racing steering stablelizer,big gun over rev rev box, uni filter,stage 3 hotcam,renthal handlebars,msr clutch,full skid plate, pro peg nerf bars,trail tech vapor,fst secondary oil cooler,+1mm kibble white black diamond valves,port and polish,custom seat,maxis razr2 lonestar racing bearing carrier,gt thunder hd studs,barnett clutches and etc 16/38 gearing.sparks 39mm fcr carb.sparks x-6 bigcore exhaust.next mod will be clutches and tires alottttttttttttttttttt of money spent ok new clutches are installed sparks 8-plate system.next tires or more suspension mods
    this ex is getting real expensive
    real quick.but its real fastttttttt
    new sidewinder smart chain 2 and t2 16tooth front sprocket.can u say lifetime warranty on the sprocket.$$$

Well...I'm under the impression that over-carb'ing is like running a higher octane; pretty much useless. If the OEM carb supplies an adequate supply for air/fuel then I'd not expect much if any improvement. The only improvement would come if they under-carb'd the 400EX.

Granted, the 400EX does seem a bit de-tuned from the factory and there's a lot more potential to be tapped. Open the lid, K&N air filter, re-jet, exhaust, sparks key.....all very simple stuff that makes a BIG difference. Myself? I have to hold on pretty tight when I gas it, this thing pulls stumps!!!

My only concern is that with more power comes more heat...and this is not a liquid cooled engine, it's air-cooled. Keeping the compression low, retarding the timing and a few other OEM measures MAY just be intentional on the part of the factory design.

Remember; when you find a way to make the candle burn brighter, it generally means the candle won't burn as long. I'm with Ron, I want all then performance within reason...but only up to the point where reliability isn't compromised.

This dyno test will be great....thanks Ron!

So whats the out come? Anything new?
    02 400ex, bub slip on, k&n filter, dynatek programable box, nology coil, jet kit, air scoops , full port and polish, bigger valves, mod quad 4" ext. swingarm, head pipe mod, hot cam stg 1, spal 4" cooler fan, edelbrock carb

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast