Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YFZ 450 air intake mod.

looks nice, what made you think of this

MXpimp2000 did a similar mod on his YFZ.
    Sparks, Elka, JD PErformance, Fuel Customs, Stream line, Laker Custom, ITP, Rath Racing, DFR, Powermadd, ProTaper, R&D, Keihin, Ignition products, SRP, UNI.

Hauler: 08 Chevy 5,3L 1500. AFE, Magnaflow, bedliner.

http://quadhub.com/sig/ride_sig_337.png

Originally posted by quadboy-55
    MXpimp2000 did a similar mod on his YFZ.

Also, you can drill holes in the airbox lid, or take the lid off.

Originally posted by kyledvor61
    Also, you can drill holes in the airbox lid, or take the lid off.
    my set-up is running with the lid off. the problem you encounter with no lid is the seat sits really close to the airbox anyway that you "really" dont gain that much performance out of it.

mods like mine, and mxpimp's gather extra air from a custom drilled out hole elsewhere in the airbox with its own intake hole.

heres an interesting fact i encountered to prove the capacity of this mod. after it was all done: if you place your hand by the hole in the rear plastic where it draws its air under the quad, you can feel it suck noticable ammounts of air, and thats with the airbox lid off aswell.
    Sparks, Elka, JD PErformance, Fuel Customs, Stream line, Laker Custom, ITP, Rath Racing, DFR, Powermadd, ProTaper, R&D, Keihin, Ignition products, SRP, UNI.

im going to do this mod but am going to do it to the other side as i dont like the idea of it being next to the exhaust as it can suck in hot air, the coolant rezzy will give some protection to as i race mx but can get wet and muddy
    sam

Originally posted by pondy
    im going to do this mod but am going to do it to the other side as i dont like the idea of it being next to the exhaust as it can suck in hot air, the coolant rezzy will give some protection to as i race mx but can get wet and muddy
    sam
    i decided to just get a FCI intake and ditch the box all together. also went to a uni foam instead of a K&N. i race mx and as long as i got a spare filter i should be good to go also kept my stock box incase i do get into a wet condition i can slap it on and be ready to go b4 race time more air = more power

sam
    nice. the only reason i took the exhaust side over the other side was becasue the airbox lid rubber grommet would leave i nice (VERY CLEAN) matching factory look. becasue that side is the same shape as the airbox lid intake. good luck with performing your mod!

i also cant wait to get one of those HEP battery boxes so i can cut the plastic around it and that leaves way more room and a more open space for my new inlet to draw more air sooner.

i dont want to remove the air box completly due to muddy conditions we can get, im in the uk so an fci is out of the question, im running a stock air box with the pro design k&n set up with lid off, you are right the seat almost acts like an air box lid and i didnt really with about it untill i saw your post

im getting back on the dyno in the new year as have changed exhaust, last dyno numbers was kinda low so with new pipe and this mod hoping to see a good increase. i have been thinking and will be doing this to the coolant bottle side, but may also do somthing on the other side also, when washing the bike i will have to remove the filter and bung the hole up

i have also cut all the plastic out from around the battery box
    sam

i dont want to remove the air box completly due to muddy conditions we can get, im in the uk so an fci is out of the question, im running a stock air box with the pro design k&n set up with lid off, you are right the seat almost acts like an air box lid and i didnt really with about it untill i saw your post

im getting back on the dyno in the new year as have changed exhaust, last dyno numbers was kinda low so with new pipe and this mod hoping to see a good increase. i have been thinking and will be doing this to the coolant bottle side, but may also do somthing on the other side also, when washing the bike i will have to remove the filter and bung the hole up

i have also cut all the plastic out from around the battery box
    sam
    sweet. i hope you enjoy you mod you are about to do. and just for the record. i dont believe how many people i have to tell this to, but an FCI WILL WORK WITH YOUR STOCK AIRBOX! its just a new tube and an adaptor that mounts to your box.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast