Thread: 400ex to a 416 QUESTIONS

400ex to a 416 QUESTIONS

I am new at all of this and have a lot of questions so please bear with me. First of here is the list of what I wan to do and tell me what you think.

wiseco 87mm 416cc 10:1 comp
    stage 2 hotcam
    port + polish
    450r carb
    HD timing chain
    secondary oil cooler
    rev box
    HD head studs

Here are my questions. What is a reasonable price on a P+P? Are the HD studs needed? What kind of gasket kit do i need (any certain size)? Can I run just premium pump gas with this setup? How difficult is the 450r carb mod?

I have had a 416 before and it was a very good and reliable engine. I bought the engine with the p&p done so I don't k now a price on that. The heavy duty studs I do recommend! I just used a comectic gasket kit. Make sure that it is not smaller that 87 mm. You should be good with premium pump gas--93 is what I am running now. I am not for sure on the 450r carb. I am just running a stock 400ex carb. You may wanna think about getting the flywheel lightened and advancing the timing. The lightened flywheel will let it rev quicker and the advanced timing give it more low end. Just my thoughts.
    My drinking team has a racing problem!

Flywheel and timing

How do you do this and how much does it cost? Also, do I have to go further into the engine to do this forcing me to go with a full gasket kit?

Anyone know a fair price on a P+P, I was told by a guy that its 200 and the bore was 45. Is this good?

All you hafta do for the flywheel is take the left side cover off. Then get a flywheel puller and take off the flywheel. If you know of any engine builders, they will be able to turn it down and lighten it for you. They will also have a advanced timing key too. I have had Rocky Ridge Racing out of Leitchfield , KY do mine. 270-259-9604 is phone number. I know TC Racing, Sparks and several others would also be able to do this. It should run around 100 to 125 bucks if i had to guess--been 6 years since I had it done. You won't hafta go into the engine any farther. You may wanna get a new left sidecover gasket if you want. I just use some sealant like Yamabond or something similar. It works just as well. The prices you mentioned on the p & p and bore seem close to what I have heard.
    My drinking team has a racing problem!

Be careful on the flywheel mod.

If you get it to light you'll lose all your low end torque.

Not good for Mx. You will stall out in the corners a lot.